"AUTHORITY IN RELIGION"
What is the final authority in religion? To determine
this is to settle all questions about religious matters.
I. THE AUTHORITY PROPHESIED BY
1. Moses knew he could not continue. Deu. 18:18, 19.
2. Would be similar to Moses.
3. God would put words in His mouth.
4. He would speak all these words to the people.
5. God would require it of all who refused to hear.
II. JESUS FULFILLED THIS PROPHECY.
1. God endorses Jesus in presence of Moses. Matt. 17:5.
2. Jesus was anti-type of Moses.
(a) Both preserved in Egypt.
(b) Moses refused riches, royalty. Christ left Heaven.
(c) Both were great Deliverers.
(d) Moses built tabernacle. Jesus built church
(f) Moses died before his people entered Cannan. Christ
before delivered could enter Heaven.
(g) Moses died at 120, his natural force unabated and
not dim. Jesus died while young.
(h) Both appeared to men after death.
3. God did put words into His mouth. Jno. 12:49,
4. He spoke these words to the people. Jno. 11:8.
5. God demands that we hear Jesus. Matt. 17:5;
2 Thes. 1.7-9..
III. TWO CONCLUSIONS.
1. All that Jesus spoke is from God.
2. No other person has authority in religion.
3. If we were allowed to hear any man besides Jesus Moses
be that man, but inasmuch as he is not to be heard, certainly
no other man should be..
Sermon Outline by Thomas Winter Butterfield
May be reproducted for
non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.