Creeping Toward Sodom
I. Lot’s problems began when his herdsmen could no longer get along with the herdsmen of Abram - Genesis 13:5-7
A. This is often the first sign of problems among brethren – they are no longer able to be of one mind
1. I Corinthians 1:10-13 - There were quarrels among the brethren
2. James 4:1-11 - The source of quarrels is when brethren desire the world
B. We are war with Satan. In any battle, a solid front line is needed to repel the attacks of the enemy.
1. But when the line cracks, the enemy has access to the interior of the country.
2. When brethren quarrel the front line wavers and collapses.
3. When Christians cannot live in peace together, Satan is able to play one brother off of another, giving him access to destroy the work of God.
4. I Corinthians 12:20-21 - We need everyone.
5. Without the support of our brethren we are weakened and vulnerable to attack - Galatians 5:14-15
6. It is our brethren who upholds us we are weak, who pull us back from danger when we slip - Galatians 5:25-6:3
7. If we cut off our help, where would we be?
II. Instead of planning a course of action best for Abram and Lot, Lot looked only to his own interests. He chose the path that made him happy. - Genesis 13:8-11
A. Christians face problems when they put their own concerns first.
B. Philippians 2:3-4 - Consider others before yourself
C. When brethren are only interested in their own needs, they open the door for Satan.
D. It is through our desires that Satan can tempt us - James 1:14-15
III. Lot did not move immediately into Sodom. For a while he lived on the plains.- Genesis 13:12
A. He put his feet on the path towards this wicked city - Proverbs 4:14-16
B. It was not Lot’s intention to sin, but he walked a path that led to that direction.
C. Too many Christian’s act as if they are impervious to Satan’s darts.
1. They believe they can do things that are not good – not evil things, just things that are not righteous.
2. I’ve had brethren tell me in all sincerity that they can go to R-rated movies and not be affected.
3. Others say there is no harm in eating a meal in a casino, so long as they don’t gamble.
4. Some claim there is no harm in an alcoholic drink with a meal, so long as they manage not to get drunk.
D. Brethren, Eve did not sin until after she looked at the fruit - Genesis 3:6
E. It is important to avoid the situations where sin makes an appearance - I Thessalonians 5:21-22)
F. Sin is deceitful. If we continue to expose ourselves to it, we become numb to its presence.
1. Hardened by the presence of sin - Hebrews 3:12-13
2. Conscious seared - I Timothy 4:1-2
3. If we surround ourselves with ungodly people, their influence is bound to rub off on us - I Corinthians 15:33
a. Be on your guard, so you are not carried away - II Peter 3:17
b. Israel fell due to wicked influences - Hosea 7:8-9
4. Jehoshaphat is an example
a. He allied himself with the wicked king Ahab through marriage - II Chronicles 18:1
b. Years later we find him supporting the schemes of the wicked - II Chronicles 19:1-3
IV. As we continue reading, we find Lot is no longer near Sodom. He is right in the midst of this wicked city - Genesis 14:12
A. The Bible tells us that Lot did not yield to the sin of Sodom, for God rescued him from the destruction - Genesis 18:23; 19:16
B. He had placed himself and his family in great danger
C. When we get involved in worldly matters, it slows us down allowing Satan a chance to trap us. - Luke 21:3
V. Lot escaped the destruction of Sodom, but he did not escape the snare of the Devil.
A. Lot lost daughters in the destruction because his sons-in-law would not heed his warning - Genesis 19:14
B. Lot lost his wife because she longed from what they left behind - Genesis 19:24-26
C. Shortly after the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, we read that Lot’s daughters got Lot drunk and committed incest with him - Genesis 19;30-38
1. Where did they get such an idea?
D. These things would not have happened if Lot had not crept towards Sodom. He reaped what he had sown - Galatians 6:7
VI. Instead of yielding to the lure of sin, we must resist
A. Do not present yourselves as instruments of unrighteousness - Romans 6:13
B. Lay aside deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light - Romans 13:11-14
C. Notice that it is more than removing sin from our lives. We must go the extra step of adding righteousness to our character
1. Walk as children of light - Ephesians 5:8-11
2. Partakers of the divine nature - II Peter 1:2-11
D. We have no business creeping toward Sodom on the path of sin.
E. We are children of Light walking towards an eternal city of righteousness - Hebrews 11:9-10