Class Notes on Sacred History
Volume I: The Pentateuch, Joshua, Judges, Ruth and Job.
J. W. McGarvey (1893)
Table of Contents
§ I. THE MISFORTUNES OF NAOMI AND RUTH. i. 1-ii. 23.
1. The Death of Elimelech and His Two Sons. i. 1-5.
- At what period was this? 1.
- What the route from Beth-lehem to Moab?
- Why the name Ephrathites? 2, cf. Gen. xxxv. 19.
- Danger of this move to the faith of Elimelech's sons?
- How long the sojourn? 4.
2. Naomi Returns to Her Own Country. 6-18.
- Why a famine in Judah and not in Moab? 6, 1.
- Why did the daughters in law start? 7.
- Why say, "to her mother's house"? 8.
- What kind of wives had they been? 8.
- Meaning of remark about, "the hand of the Lord"? 13.
- What the effect of the intermarriage on the two young women? 14-17.
- Whence Ruth's power of expression? 16, 17.
3. The Arrival in Beth-lehem. 19-22.
- Meaning of the two names? 20.
- Why ascribe her afflictions to the Lord? 20, 21.
- In what season the return?
4. Ruth Goes Out to Glean. ii. 1-3. 
- Meaning of "mighty man of wealth"? 1.
- Why Ruth's proposal? 2.
5. She Is kindly Treated by Boaz. 4-16.
- Relation between Boaz and his reapers? 4.
- Why did he come from Beth-lehem? 4.
- Why say, "among the sheaves"? 7.
- Cause of the kind treatment? 11, 12.
- Why compare herself unfavorably with the other gleaners? 13.
- What was parched corn? 14.
6. Her Success in Gleaning. 17-23.
- How much is an ephah?
- How was it kindness to the dead? 20.
- How long the gleaning? 23.
§ II. RUTH BECOMES THE WIFE OF BOAZ. iii. 1-iv. 22.
1. Naomi Gives Some Directions to Ruth. iii. 1-5.
- Her purpose? 1, 2.
- How the winnowing done? 2.
- Why the grain still on the ground?
2. The Directions Followed, and the Result. 6-18.
- Meaning of Ruth's request? 9, cf. 10-13.
- Was her act improper? 11.
- Why was Naomi so confident? 18.
3. The Right of Redemption Transferred to Boaz. iv. 1-12.
- Why had the land been sold? 3.
- Why take Ruth instead of Naomi?
- Why the refusal?
- Was the law fully carried out? See Deut. xxv. 7-10. 
4. A Son Born and His Genealogy Traced. 13-22.
- Why Naomi congratulated? 15, 16.
- At what period was this? 20, cf. Matt. i. 5.
- When the book written, and for what purpose?
- What state of society under the Judges does it indicate?