Class Notes on Sacred History
Volume I: The Pentateuch, Joshua, Judges, Ruth and Job.
J. W. McGarvey (1893)
Table of Contents
- Part First. The Conquest of Canaan. Josh. 1:1-12:24.
- Part Second. The Division of the Land. Josh. 13:1-24:33.
- Review: Part First.
- Review: Part Second.
THE CONQUEST OF CANAAN.
i. 1-xii. 24.
§ I. PREPARATORY MEASURES. i. 1-ii. 24.
1. A Charge to Joshua. i. 1-9.
- Was the law in Joshua's hands? 7, 8.
- Rule of success? 7, 8.
2. Provisions Prepared. 10, 11.
- Why not depend on manna? 10, 11.
3. An Order to the Two and Half Tribes. 12-18.
4. Two Spies Sent into Jericho. ii. 1-24.
- Why send spies?
- Why in a harlot's house? 1, 13.
- Why flax on the roof? 6.
- What kind of men were the spies? 17-20.
§ II. THE PASSAGE OF THE JORDAN. iii. 1-v. 15.
1. Orders for the March. iii. 1-13.
- Why keep so far behind? 4.
- What the line of march?
2. The Crossing. 14-17. 
- Why did Jordan overflow, and what banks? 15.
- How the waters cut off? 16.
3. The Monuments. iv. 1-9.
- How the stones in Jordan seen? 9.
- How long?
4. The Ark Moves and the Waters Return. 10-18.
- Why all controlled by the ark?
- Why so few of the two and a half tribes? 12, 13.
- Purpose of the miracle? Cf. iii. 7, 10; iv. 24; v. 1.
5. The Time and the Monument at Gilgal. 19-24.
6. Effect on the Canaanites. v. 1.
- Was the writer present?
- Why the crossing not resisted? i. 15, 16.
7. The Neglected Circumcision. 2-9.
- What was the reproach of Egypt? 9.
8. The Passover Kept and the Manna Ceases. 10-12.
- Time since leaving Egypt? 10.
9. A Warning to Joshua. 13-15.
- Purpose of this vision?
§ III. THE FALL OF JERICHO. vi. 1-27.
1. Plan of the Siege. vi. 1-7.
- Whence the seven priests? 4.
2. The March. 8-21.
- Why the silence? 10.
- Singularity of the march?
- Possibility of the seventh day's march? 15.
- Meaning of "devoted to the Lord"? 17.
- When this speech made? 17-19. 
3. Rahab Saved. 22-25.
- Further history of Rahab? Matt. i. 4, 5; Num. i. 4, 7.
- Why spared and honored? 25; Jas. ii. 25; Heb. xi. 31.
- When this book written? 25.
4. A Curse on the Rebuilder of Jericho. 26, 27.
- Fulfillment? I. Ki. xvi. 34.
- Purpose of this miracle?
§ IV. THE SIEGE OF AI. vii. 1-viii. 35.
1. The First Attack. vii. 1-9.
- Why Joshua so discouraged?
- Where was Ai? Gen. xii. 8.
2. Cause of the Defeat. 10-15.
- What "the devoted thing"? 11, cf. vi. 7.
3. Achan Detected and Punished. 16-26.
- Why his family and property? 24.
- Where the valley of Achor? 24, 26.
- Lesson of this event?
4. A New Plan of Attack. viii. 1-9.
- Why the spoil given this time? 2.
- Why such a stratagem needed?
5. The City Taken and Destroyed. 10-29.
- Why place more in ambush? 12.
- How could the ambush see Joshua's spear? 18, 19.
- Population of Ai? 25.
- Why the king taken down? Deut. xxi. 22, 23.
6. The Altar and the Reading at Mount Ebal. 30-35.
- How much of the law written? 32, cf. 34.
- How written on the stones? Deut. xxvii. 4, 8.
- How possible for all to hear?  34, 35; Deut. xxvii. 12-15: Lands of the Bible, 287.
- Why this ceremony? Deut. xvii. 1-xxxviii. 68.
- When was this done? 30.
§ V. CONQUEST OF SOUTHERN CANAAN. ix. 1-x. 43.
1. Confederation of the Kings. ix. 1, 2.
- Why not assembled before?
2. Surrender of the Gibeonites. 3-15.
- Their motive? 9, 10, cf. 24.
- The real distance?
- Significance of taking of their victuals? 14.
3. The Cheat Detected and Punished. 16-27.
- What wood and water? 21, 27.
4. The Allied Kings Threaten Gibeon. x. 1-5.
- Why Gibeon instead of Joshua?
5. They Are Defeated by Joshua. 6-14.
- Direction of sun and moon? 12.
- How did they stand still?
- Purpose of it?
- What the book of Jasher? 13.
6. Capture of the Kings. 15-27.
- What of verse 15? Cf. 43.
- Why put feet on their necks? 24, 25.
7. Remainder of the Campaign. 28-43.
- Extent of conquered country? 40, 41.
- Was there much resistance?
- Why not?
§ VI. CONQUEST OF NORTHERN CANAAN. xi. 1-xii. 24.
1. Jabin's Host and the Waters of Merom. xi. 1-5.
- Describe the waters of Merom. 5, cf. Lands of the Bible, 31. 
2. Joshua's Victory. 6-9.
- Why not keep or kill the horses? 9.
3. The Cities Taken and Sacked. 10-15.
- Where Hazor, and why it alone burned? 10, 13.
4. Extent of Conquest and Stubbornness of the Enemy. 16-20.
- Where mount Halak and Baal-gad? 17.
- How their hearts hardened, and why? 20.
5. Destruction of Anakim. 21-23.
- Who were they? Cf. Num. xiii. 33.
- Why left in Gaza, Gath, and Ashdod? 22.
- How to justify this war?
6. List of Conquered Kings. xii. 1-24.
- Entire number? 24.
- What inference? [Here The Geographical part of Lands of the Bible.]
THE DIVISION OF THE LAND.
xiii. 1-xxiv. 33.
§ I. SETTLEMENT OF THE TWO AND A HALF TRIBES. xiii. 1-33.
1. An Order to Joshua. xiii. 1-14.
- Did Israel need the territory not possessed? 6.
2. The Inheritance of Reuben. 15-25.
- What part of the country east of the Jordan? 21, cf. Num. xxi. 24. 
3. Inheritance of Gad. 24-28.
- How far north? 27.
4. Inheritance of One Half Manasseh. 29-35.
- Southern limit? 27, 30.
§ II. THE INHERITANCE OF JUDAH. xiv. 1-xv. 63.
1. Plan of Division Stated. xiv. 1-5.
- How came Ephraim and Manasseh to be two tribes? 4, cf. Gen. xlviii. 5.
- Why is this mentioned here? 4, cf. 3.
2. Petition of Judah and Caleb. 6-15.
- How long had the war continued? 7, 10.
- Caleb's choice settled his tribe.
3. Boundary Line of Judah. xv. 1-12.
- Known points in the line south? 2-4; east? 5; north? 7-11.
4. Caleb Takes His Cities. 13-19.
- When had Hebron received the name Arba? 13, 14.
- Why ask for a field? 19.
5. The Cities in the Territory of Judah. 20-63.
- How many? See 32, 36, 41, 44, 51, 54, 57, 59, 60, 62, and Jerusalem, 63.
- Why Jerusalem not taken? 63.
§ III. THE LOTS OF EPHRAIM AND WESTERN MANASSEH. xvi. 1-xvii. 18.
1. The Boundary of Ephraim. xvi. 1-10.
- Points in southern line? 2, 3.
- Points in northern line?
- Why Gezer not taken? 10. 
2. The Divisions of Manasseh, and the Inheritance of the
Daughters of Zelophehad. xvii. 1-6.
- Which the larger division? 1, 2.
- Meaning of, "ten parts"? 5.
3. The Boundaries of Manasseh. 7-13.
- Points in south line? 7.
- Relative positions of Ephraim and Manasseh? 10.
- How Asher on north and Issachar on east? 10.
- Remnant of Canaanites. 11-13.
4. The Children of Joseph Petition for More Land. 14-18.
- Why say, "one lot and one part"? 14.
- What the wood country? 15, cf. 18.
- Few cities in Ephraim and Manasseh are mentioned.
§ IV. SETTLEMENTS OF THE OTHER SEVEN TRIBES. xviii. 1-xix. 51.
1. The Land Surveyed. xviii. 1-10.
- Where the tabernacle? 1.
- How many surveyors? 4.
- Their method? 8, 9.
2. Benjamin's Lot. 11-28.
- Why called a lot? See 10.
- Relative position, and why? 11.
- Points in the boundary?
- How many cities? 24, 28. [Twenty-six.]
3. The Lot of Simeon. xix. 1-9.
- What part of Judah?
- What became of Simeon eventually?
4. The Lot of Zebulun. 10-16.
- Points not clearly identified? [The lot from Lake of Galilee westward.] 
5. The Lot of Issachar. 17-23.
- Places identified and relative position?
6. The Lot of Asher. 24-31.
- Known points? 26, 27, 29.
7. The Lot of Naphtali. 32-39.
- Known points? 33, 34.
8. The Lot of Dan. 40-48.
- Known points? 41, 43.
- A subsequent addition. 47, cf. Judg. xviii. 1-31.
9. A City Given to Joshua. 49-51.
- Why this?
§ V. THE CITIES OF THE LEVITES. xx. 1-xxi. 45.
- What of Caleb's claim on Hebron? xxi. 11, 12.
- Where the cities of refuge? xx. 7, 8.
- In what tribes the Gershonites? 6. [Issachar, Asher, Naphtali and half Manasseh.]
- In what tribes the Merarites? xxi. 7. [Reuben, Gad and Zebulun.]
- In what tribes the Kohathites? xxi. 4, 5. [Judah, Simeon, Benjamin, Manasseh, Ephraim and Dan.]
- Why the Kohathites most favored?
§ VI. RETURN OF THE TWO AND HALF TRIBES. xxii. 1-34.
1. Joshua Commends and Dismisses Them. xxii. 1-8.
- Their riches. 8.
- When was this?
2. An Altar Built and War Threatened. 9-14.
- Why think of war? 12, cf. Deut. xiii. 12-18.
- Where the altar erected? verse 10, 11 in R. V. 
3. The Remonstrance of Phinehas. 15-20.
- Baal-peor and Achan remembered? 17, 20.
- Bearing on central place of worship? 16, 19.
4. The Response and Agreement. 21-34.
- Why the fears of the builders? 24, 25.
§ VII. JOSHUA'S FAREWELL ADDRESS AND DEATH.
xxiii. 1-xxiv. 33.
1. Address To Elders and Officers. xxiii. 1-16.
- Chief point of warning, and why? 6, 7, 12, 15, 16.
2. Address To All Israel. xxiv. 1-28.
- Why at Shechem? 1.
- Original worship of Terah? 2.
- Joshua's resolution. 15.
- Why tell them they could not serve God? 16-22.
- In what book written? 26, cf. xxiii. 6.
3. Deaths and Burials. 29-33.
- Character of Joshua?
- Where were Joseph's bones buried? 
Subject and extent of this Part?
- What were the preparatory measures for the invasion of Canaan?
- Repeat the charge given to Joshua.
- What was his purpose in sending spies?
- Why were the spies so careful in their covenant with Rahab. 4.
- Describe the passage of the Jordan.
- Why the river out of its banks, and what banks?
- God's purposes in this miracle?
- What two monuments were erected to commemorate this crossing? 3.
- Why so few warriors of the two and a half tribes?
- What held back the waters?
- What was done about circumcision? 7.
- When did the manna cease? 8.
- Design of the appearance of the Captain of the Lord's host? 9.
- Describe the siege of Jericho. 4.
- Design of this method of siege?
- Why the silence observed in the march?
- Why was all the property of the city devoted? 2.
- Quote and explain the comments of James and Paul on the case of Rahab.
- What became of Rahab?
- Describe the siege of Ai.
- Why was Joshua so easily discouraged? 1.
- Lesson taught by the case of Achan? 2, 3.
- Why the spoil of Ai given when that of Jericho had been withheld? 4.
- Describe the place of reading at Mount Ebal. 
- What led to Joshua's first great battle? 1-5.
- How did the Gibeonites obtain the information on which they acted? 2.
- Nature of the service to which they were subjected?
- Purpose of causing the sun to stand still? 5.
- Why the reference to the book of Jasher?
- Position of sun and moon when command was given?
- Why the pursuit of the enemy so urgent? 5.
- What part of the country next subdued? 7.
- How so many cities taken without a siege?
- What led to Joshua's second great battle? 1, 2.
- Describe the "waters of Merom."
- Where was Hazor, and why it alone burned? 3.
- How did one victory lead to such results?
- Why did the Canaanites continue the fight when they saw what God did? 4.
- How is this war of invasion and extermination justified?
- How many kings were conquered in these two campaigns? 6.
Subject and extent of this part?
- Locate the inheritances of the two and half tribes.
- Describe the country given to them. 2-4.
- What led to the selection of Judah's inheritance? 2.
- How long the war?
- What was Judah's first boundary? 3.
- How many cities included in it? 5. [One hundred and sixteen.] 
- Where were Ephraim and Manasseh located? 1, 2.
- In what condition were the mountains of their territory? 3.
- Where was the tabernacle pitched after being moved from Gilgal? 1.
- Where was Benjamin located? 2.
- To which tribe did Jerusalem belong?
- Where was a place found for Simeon? 3.
- Give the relative positions of the other tribes. 4-8.
- Of all.
- What provision was made for Joshua? 9.
- What rule followed in selecting the Levitical cities?
- When the warriors of the two and a half tribes were dismissed, what trouble arose, and how was it settled?
- What evidence that they had the book of Moses? 1, 3.
§ VII.[CNSH1 125-136]
- To what two audiences, and where, did Joshua make parting addresses?
- What warning did he give the elders?
- What sketch of history in his address to the people?
- What alternative did he place before them?
- How did he get a pledge from them?
- How did he perpetuate the remembrance of this pledge?
- Give the closing paragraph of the book.