"WHATEVER A MAN SOWS, THAT HE WILL ALSO REAP"
INTRODUCTION: This week our president admitted to an "improper relationship"
with Monica Lewinsky. The "improper relationship" was simply a code phrase
for a sinful sexual relationship. This is not a Democratic or Republican
scandal. It is a national tragedy. It is not limited to one political party.
What is happening to a Democrat today will likely happen to a Republican
tomorrow (Have we forgotten about Sen. Bob Packwood, Republican Senator
from Washington state).
This episode most assuredly signals a national erosion in spiritual
values. Let's look at some Biblical principles concerning our departure
from God as a nation since the Second World War.
I. SIN IS STILL SIN REGARDLESS OF MAN'S CHANGE OF DEFINITION.
A. Look at how sinful men have change definitions.
II. SIN CANNOT BE FOREVER HIDDEN.
1. Killing unborn babies is now called "pro-choice."
B. But the Bible condemns those who try to turn Morality upside down.
2. Murder of the old, infirm, and retarded, is called euthanasia (good
3. Adultery is now called "a relationship."
4. Homosexuality is called a "gay lifestyle."
5. These things are call "defining down" or "dumbing down" our society's
1. Isaiah 5:20 - "Woe to those who call evil good, and good
evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; Who put bitter
for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"
2. Sin is still the transgression of God's law. - 1 John 3:4 (KJV)
3. God's Judgement is still against those who would pervert His moral
a. Galatians 5:19 - Now the works of the flesh are evident,
which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 - idolatry,
sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions,
dissensions, heresies, 21 - envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and
the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time
past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom
4. Romans 1:28 - And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge,
God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not
fitting; 29 - being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality,
wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife,
deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, 30 - backbiters, haters of
God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to
parents, 31 - undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful;
32 - who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice
such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve
of those who practice them.
5. Proverbs 14:34 - Righteousness exalts a nation, But sin is a reproach
to any people.
A. Sin cannot be covered up.
III. THERE IS ALWAYS A PAYMENT FOR UNREPENTED SIN.
1. Proverbs 28:13 - He who covers his sins will not prosper,
But whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy.
B. There will come a time when all sin will be brought to light.
2. David and Bathsheba teach us this principle.
a. 2 Samuel 11ff
b. David tried everything to cover up his sin. He had Bathsheba's husband
Uriah come home from battle to make it appear that he was the father of
Bathsheba's child. When that failed he had Uriah killed in battle.
c. It is likely that David's governmental ministers knew that David
had sinned, but would never speak up. But
Nathan, the prophet of God, was commanded by God to bring David's sin
out in the open.
d. 2 Samuel 12:7-12
e. David's reaction, "I have sinned against the Lord" (verse 13).
1. 1 Corinthians 4:5 - Therefore judge nothing before the time,
until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of
darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each one's praise
will come from God.
2. Romans 2:16 - in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by
Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.
3. Hebrews 4:12,13 - For the word of God is living and powerful, and
sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul
and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts
and intents of the heart. 13 - And there is no creature hidden from His
sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we
must give account.
A. The principle of sowing and reaping.
IV. ANY NATION THAT REMAINS IMMORAL WILL EVENTUALLY BE JUDGED BY GOD.
1. Galatians 6:7-9
B. David again is an excellent example.
2. Hosea 8:7 - "They sow the wind, And reap the whirlwind. The stalk
has no bud; It shall never produce meal. If it should produce, Aliens would
swallow it up.
1. 2 Samuel 12:10-12 'Now therefore, the sword shall never
depart from your house, because you have despised Me, and have taken the
wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife.' 11- "Thus says the LORD: 'Behold,
I will raise up adversity against you from your own house; and I will take
your wives before your eyes and give them to your neighbor, and
he shall lie with your wives in the sight of this sun. 12 - 'For you
did it secretly, but I will do this thing before all Israel, before the
a. He would lose his son, have another son rape one of his
daughters, have a son try to overthrow him and commit sexual relations
with his concubines and had conflict in his family for as long as he lived.
2. All of these things took place against David. His sin was repaid him
many times over.
A. Look at the deviancy of our nation.
V. WHY SHOULD WE BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE MORALS OF OUR NATION
1. In New York there is a play being put on (with the help
of a government agency, National Endowment for the Arts) called Corpus
Christi. It relates Jesus as a homosexual who engages in sodomy with his
B. People who believe in a Biblical standard for morality and righteousness
have been largely muted.
2. The Spice Girls are held up as role models for young girls. Parents,
have you bothered to look at their act?
3. We are told by our public officials that since they didn't lie under
oath, or because it was about their personal life, that they should not
be held accountable. It seems that lies have become common among our public
officials. Most seem to lie without any remorse.
4. Alcoholism, drug abuse, sexually transmitted diseases, sexual promiscuity,
and divorce are all rampant.
5. We have openly self avowed homosexuals in our congress.
1. We have bought the lie that Christians should not "mix religion
with politics." The Lord's church should never get into political campaigning,
etc. But we have an obligation to speak out against wickedness wherever
it rears its head.
C. God still rules in the affairs of men.
2. Those who have the courage to speak up against sin are held up to
ridicule. Presidential spokesman Mark McCury said that Senator Trent Lot
was "out of the mainstream" and was radical for having the audacity to
say that homosexuality was wrong.
3. The Southern Baptist Convention was condemned by almost all of the
media and feminists across the country as being sexist, living in the dark
ages, and espousing outmoded moral standards, for upholding the Biblical
laws on the relationship between husband and wives.
1. Daniel 5:21 - "Then he was driven from the sons of men,
his heart was made like the beasts, and his dwelling was with the wild
donkeys. They fed him with grass like oxen, and his body was wet with the
dew of heaven, till he knew that the Most High God rules in the kingdom
of men, and appoints over it whomever He chooses.
2. Psalms 22:28 - For the kingdom is the Lord's, And He rules over the
A. Because God calls on us to rebuke sin and bring it to light.
CONCLUSION: "Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political
prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would
that man claim the tribute of patriotism who should labor to subvert these
great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of
men and citizens." --George Washington's final public speech, Sept. 17,
1. Ephesians 5:11
B. Because we are concerned for the morals climate in which our children
2. 2 Timothy 4:1-4
C. Because we know that Christians are to be the salt and light. We
should influence for good.
1. Matthew 5:13-16
D. Because we desire a quiet and peaceable life. An immoral climate is
E. Because we desire to call sinners out of sin and toward the light
of the Gospel.
Copyright 2000 by Grady
Scott may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.