AT WHAT POINT IN TIME?
Introduction: The Bible presents time as being important. The Christian
is told "redeeming the time, because the days are evil" (Eph. 5:16). Familiarity
with time is taught and enjoined (Rom. 13: 11). The Bible also contains
instances of particular points in time being critical (I Pet. 1:11, Gal.
4: 4). At a certain point in time, babes in Christ should become
mature and able (skilled) to teach others (Heb. 5: 12_14). In this
study, we shall endeavor to explore some specific points in time relative
to some controversial subjects.
I. AT WHAT POINT IN TIME DOES HUMAN LIFE BEGIN?
A. When does life begin, does it begin at conception, at a
certain time in the stage of development after conception but before birth,
or at birth?
II. AT WHAT POINT IN TIME DO WE DIE?
1. This is more than an academic exercise, because upon the
answer hinges the morality or abortion.
B. Many contend life begins at birth (first natural breath of air).
1. Hence, "abortion" is not murder.
C. However, the Bible presents life being present before birth
2. If that is true even late term abortions at eight and nine months
are perfectly legal and moral.
1. Psalms 139:13- For You formed my inward parts; You covered
me in my mother's womb.
D. A passage used by abortionists to justify abortion actually proves that
an unborn is a human being before birth.
2. Psalms 139:15_16 My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made
in secret, And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. 16
Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all
written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of
3. Jeremiah 1:5 - "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before
you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations."
4. Luke 1:41 - And it happened, when Elizabeth heard the greeting of
Mary, that the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the
1. Exodus 21:22_23 "If men fight, and hurt a woman with child,
so that she gives birth prematurely, yet no harm follows, he shall surely
be punished accordingly as the woman's husband imposes on him; and he shall
pay as the judges determine. 23 But if any harm follows, then you shall
give life for life,"
2. The text states that the "pregnancy" is a child. Thus, when understood
in light of the other passages cited it shows that "any harm follows" most
mean that if either the mother or child dies that the offender would give
3. The only reasonable conclusion, then, is life begins before birth
and at the point of conception (if not at conception, where do you say
that that pregnancy is a human?).
A. There has always been fascination regarding death.
III. AT WHAT POINT IN TIME DOES SALVATION TAKE PLACE?
1. This fascination does not only concern what happens after
death, but the point in time death occurs.
B. The Bible not only reveals to us what happens after death, but the point
in time when death becomes a reality.
1. James 2:26 - For as the body without the spirit is dead,
so faith without works is dead also.
C. The following truths would also teach that there is no such thing as
dying and coming back.
2. Medical science may disagree at what point this action takes place,
but this settles the matter, as far as the Bible is concerned.
1. Hebrews 9:27 - "And as it is appointed for men to die once,
but after this the judgment,"
2. The rich man in torment could not pass out of his place, neither
could Lazarus pass from Paradise (uke 16:20-31)
A. Salvation is the most important subject that we could ever
address. When are we saved from our sins?
1. Most of denominationalism insists salvation occurs at the
point in time when the lost believes (isolated act). Hence, the famous
expression "salvation is by grace only, Christ only, and faith only."
B. Many verses reveal the point in time of initial salvation as being at
the time of water baptism which is preceded by belief, repentance, and
confession of Jesus' deity (Acts 2: 36, 38, 8: 37, 2: 38).
2. Of course, if this is true the demons are saved because they believe
(James 2:19). "The demons believe, but they do not have saving faith,"
the objection states.
3. What is saving faith? Saving faith is trust in God which manifests
itself in implicit obedience
a. James 2:19-26
b. Hebrews 11
1. Acts 2:36-38
2. Acts 22:16
C. It is at the point in time of baptism that one is buried with
Christ, puts on Christ, and the old man is put to death and the new man
arises from the watery grave to walk in newness of life.
1. Romans 6:2-3
2. Galatians 3: 26, 27
IV. AT WHAT POINT IN TIME DID CHRIST'S KINGDOM BEGIN?
A. Notice Nebuchadnezzar's dream (Dan. 2: 31_45). There were
four world kingdoms
1. (Babylonian, 600 BC until 536 BC, Dan. 2: 32;
B. It was to be "in the days of these kings..." (vs. 44, 43, 33, the Roman
2. Medo_Persian, 536 BC until 360 BC, 2: 32;
3. Macedonia, 360 BC until 323 BC, 2: 32;
4. Roman, became a world power in 30 BC, 2: 33).
1. The Kingdom was established in the days of the Roman Empire
in Acts 2, AD 30.
2. Matthew 3:2 - and saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at
3. Matthew 16:18_19 "And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on
this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail
against it. 19 "And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven,
and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you
loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."
4. Colossians 1:13 - He has delivered us from the power of darkness
and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love,
5. Revelation 1:9 - I, John, both your brother and companion in the
tribulation and kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was on the island
that is called Patmos for the word of God and for the testimony of Jesus
6. Thus the kingdom of God began in the days of the Roman Empire and
continue to this day. It is not something that will be established at some
date in the future.
Conclusion: At what point in time are you? Have you been saved from
your sins by being immersed into Christ? Someday, when you reach the point
in time that you experience death it will be the only thing that will matter
Copyright 2000 by Grady
Scott may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.