"THERE IS NO FEAR OF GOD BEFORE THEIR EYES"
INTRODUCTION: It is possible for a person to lose a fear of God. The
penitent thief told his fellow thier on the cross, "Do you not even fear
God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? (Luke 23:40). Some have
forgotten about God in their lives. Paul talks about those who have forgotten
God in their lives. See Romans 3:10-18. There is a sense in which this
passage deals with all those who have never obeyed the gospel. But to the
extent to which we refuse to respect God we become more distant from the
moral compass that God has given us.
I. THE PRIMARY THRUST OF THE PASSAGE IS AT THE END, "THERE IS NO FEAR
OF GOD BEFORE THEIR EYES." (VERSE 18)
A. What does it mean to "fear God?"
II. A DIVINE CATALOGUE OF SOME CHARACTERISTICS OF THE MAN WHO DOES NOT
1. A good working definition of fearing God is, "to love, to
honor, to respect, and to obey Him. It means to seek His will and to do
B. Thus we can understand the full significance of the man who has no fear
for Jehovah God.
2. Some passages that will help us have an appreciation for the concept
of fearing God.
a. Genesis 22:12- "And He said, "Do not lay your hand on the
lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you
have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.""
3. These passages, and others, tell us that the person who fears God respects
Him and His word and seeks to do His will.
b. Ecclesiastes 12:13- "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter:
Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man's all."
c. Revelation 14:7- "saying with a loud voice, "Fear God and give glory
to Him, for the hour of His judgment has come; and worship Him who made
heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water.""
f. Deuteronomy 8:6- ""Therefore you shall keep the commandments of the
LORD your God, to walk in His ways and to fear Him."
g. 2 Kings 17:36- ""but the LORD, who brought you up from the land of
Egypt with great power and an outstretched arm, Him you shall fear, Him
you shall worship, and to Him you shall offer sacrifice."
1. Since fearing God will cause us to obey His Will (Ecclesiastes
12:13) and to keep away from wickedness (Proverbs 16:6), then we would
expect the person who has no fear of God to become reprobate and wicked!
The person who does not fear God would not want to be bound by God's laws
when it came to godliness and service!
2. While all are not as wicked as the worst of the ones described here,
it is important to note that these things represent
the general character of mankind, especially those who have thrown
off the "shackles" of fear and respect of God.
3. Self-righteousness, wicked and lying tongues, and violence have been
the hallmark of human society.
4. Fear and respect for God and His law go hand in hand with peace and
love for fellow man.
A. They refuse to seek after God and refuse to walk in His
CONCLUSION: Many will say that we should not teach our children to fear
God. But we teach our children to fear open fires, going out into busy
streets, and strangers who might do them harm. Why shouldn't we teach out
children to fear (respect) our God who will judge mankind. Jesus said,
"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul;
but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell"
1. Romans 3:10- "As it is written: "There is none righteous,
no, not one; 11- There is none who understands; There is none who seeks
B. They have no value to God and His work because they have turned away
from following His Will.
2. They have all departed from God's. They refuse to seek after God,
therefore they do not understand God's will)
1. Romans 3:12- "They have all turned aside; They have together
become unprofitable; There is none who does good, no, not one.""
C. They have poisonous tongues!
1. Romans 3:13, 14- ""Their throat is an open tomb; With their
tongues they have practiced deceit"; "The poison of asps is under their
lips; 14- Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness.""
D. They are people of violence.
2. The man who fears God will seek to curb and control his tongue.
a. Proverbs 4:23- "Keep your heart with all diligence, For
out of it spring the issues of life.
3. Gossip and backbiting are the tools of those who do not fear the judgment
b. Matthew 12:34- ""Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak
good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks."
c. Proverbs 25:22- "For so you will heap coals of fire on his head,
And the LORD will reward you."
d. Colossians 4:6- "Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with
salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one."
a. Psalms 64:3- "Who sharpen their tongue like a sword, And
bend their bows to shoot their arrows; bitter words,"
b. James 3:5-9
1. Romans 3:15- ""Their feet are swift to shed blood;"
E. There would be no peace for those who had no fear of God.
2. When God's will is discounted man is reduced to predatory animals.
Strong men would prey upon the weak. Men would be do violence toward their
mates. Women would turn against their own children.
3. This, and the following passages are taken form Isaiah.
a. Isaiah 59:7-6 "Their feet run to evil, And they make haste
to shed innocent blood; Their thoughts are thoughts of iniquity; Wasting
and destruction are in their paths. 8- The way of peace they have not known,
And there is no justice in their ways; They have made themselves crooked
paths; Whoever takes that way shall not know peace."
4. Proverbs 6:17- "A proud look, A lying tongue, Hands that shed innocent
1. Romans 3:16-17 "Destruction and misery are in their ways;
17- And the way of peace they have not known.""
2. Just opposite to the way of Christ.
a. Matthew 5:9- "Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall
be called sons of God."
b. Philippians 4:7- "and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding,
will guard your hearts and minds through
Copyright 2000 by Grady
Scott may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.