A NEW CREATION
INTRODUCTION: Have you ever noticed the caterpillars in the Summer.
They are pretty ugly, in spite of the colors that they display. But if
you followed the life of that caterpillar you will find an amazing change.
In a matter of days that caterpillar will turn into a beautiful butterfly,
with broad wings and beautiful patterns of colors like the rainbow! It
changed completely from the old life it had. It is still the same bug,
but a new creation!
The Bible tells us that men and women are the same way. We sin when
we reach an age where we know right from wrong. Sin makes us ugly and hideous
before God. But when we experience the the birth we become new
creatures, much like the butterfly comes forth from the caterpillar!
I. THE NEW TESTAMENT COMMANDS US TO BECOME NEW CREATURES.
A. We are told that we must be "Born Again."
1. John 3:3_ Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly,
I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
B. We are commanded to "put off" the old life of sin.
2. 1 Peter 1:23_ having been born again, not of corruptible seed but
incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever,
1. Ephesians 4:22_24 that you put off, concerning your former
conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts,
and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and that you put on the new
man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.
C. The new life comes as a result of us leaving the world and entering
into a relationship with Jesus Christ.
2. Colossians 3:9_10 Do not lie to one another, since you have put off
the old man with his deeds, 10_ and have put on the new man who is renewed
in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him,
1. 2 Corinthians 5:17
2. Colossians 1:13_14 He has delivered us from the power of darkness
and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, 14_ in whom we
have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.
II. WHAT IS NEW ABOUT US WHEN WE BECOME A NEW CREATION?
A. A New Beginning - Born again.
III. HOW DO WE BECOME THIS NEW CREATION?
1. John 3:3-8
B. A New Start - All our sins are forgiven
2. James 1:18- Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth,
that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures.
1. Acts 22:16
C. A New Relationship with God - We can now call Him Father.
2. Colossians 1:13_ He has delivered us from the power of darkness and
conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, 14_ in whom we have
redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.
3. Revelation 1:5_ and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the
firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth. To
Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood,
1. Galatians 4:6_7 And because you are sons, God has sent forth
the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, "Abba, Father!" 7_
Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir
of God through Christ.
D. A new abundant way of Life - Life in Christ
2. Hebrews 4:14_16 Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who
has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast
our confession. 15_ For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize
with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without
sin. 16_ Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may
obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
3. 1 John 3:1_2 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on
us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does
not know us, because it did not know Him. 2_ Beloved, now we are children
of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know
that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as
1. John 10:10- "The thief does not come except to steal, and
to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that
they may have it more abundantly.
E. A New Hope - A home in Heaven.
2. 2 Corinthians 9:8- And God is able to make all grace abound toward
you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an
abundance for every good work.
3. Ephesians 3:19- to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge;
that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
1. Colossians 1:5_ because of the hope which is laid up for
you in heaven, of which you heard before in the word of the truth of the
2. 1 Peter 1:3- Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
A. Paul tells us.
1. 2 Corinthians 5:17- Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he
is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have
B. By getting into Christ we become new creatures. John 3:3-5 gives the
2. Paul is saying that we become that new creation by being "in Christ."
3.. Ephesians 1:7- In Him we have redemption through His blood, the
forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace
4. Titus 3:5- not by works of righteousness which we have done, but
according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration
and renewing of the Holy Spirit,
5. Adding these together we are new creations "in Christ." We receive
forgiveness of sins "in Christ." And all Christians have the "washing of
regeneration and the renewing of the Holy Spirit."
1. Born of water - Baptism into Christ
C. Paul gives further details.
2. Born of the Spirit - Receiving the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
3. Parallel to Acts 2:38
a. Acts 2:38- Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every
one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of
sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
4. Acts 22:16
5. 1 Peter 3:21- There is also an antitype which now saves us; baptism
(not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience
toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
1. Romans 6:1-6
IV. WHEN WE BECOME NEW CREATURES IN CHRIST, PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT IT.
A. People will know that we have come under the influence of
1. Acts 4:13- Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John,
and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled.
And they realized that they had been with Jesus.
B. Others will perceive that we are not living like the world.
2. Galatians 2:20- "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer
I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the
flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself
1. Colossians 3:1ff
2. 1 Peter 2:11_12 Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain
from fleshly lusts which war against the soul, 12 having your conduct honorable
among the Gentiles, that when they speak against you as evildoers, they
may, by your good works which they observe, glorify God in the day of visitation.
CONCLUSION: Just like the caterpillar, we can be a completely different
person. God will cleanse you, forgive you, and make you pure and clean.
But you must be born again!
Copyright 2000 by Grady
Scott may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.