INTRODUCTION: No chapter in the Bible has been more misused that Matthew chapter 24. It has been the fertile ground for the great false doctrine of premillenialism. Almost all New Testament Christians reject premillenialism.
What does Matthew chapter
24 teach? It is necessary for us to look at some introductory matters in
order to understand it. (Same narrative is found in Mark chapter 13 and
Luke chapter 21)
A. Jesus condemned the Pharisees.
1. Matthew 23:37-39
B. Jesus foretells the destruction of the temple.
1. Matthew 24:1-2
C. The disciples questions.
1. "When shall these things be?"
2. "What is the sign of thy coming?"
II. WE NEED TO UNDERSTAND THE NATURE OF JEWISH APOCALYPTIC LANGUAGE.3. "End of the world?"
A. It was bigger than life.
1. Everything was huge, blown out of proportion
2. Described cataclysmic events.
3. We representative of other things.
B. A definition from Scripture.
1. See Genesis 37:6-10
C. A Bible example.
III. WE NEED TO UNDERSTAND TO WHOM THE LORD WAS SPEAKING.1. Isaiah 13:1, 10-11
A. Who asked the questions?
1. The disciples- Matthew 24:3
B. According to Mark.
1. Peter, James, John, and Andrew - Mark 13:3
C. Jesus warned HIS DISCIPLES.
1. "YE shall hear... (Matthew 24:6)
2. "Then shall they deliver YOU..." (Matthew 24:9)
Copyright 1999 by Grady
Scott may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.