MATTHEW CHAPTER 8
Matthew 8:24 And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea,
insomuch that the ship was covered with the waves: but he was asleep.
1. It was not unusual for storms to hit quickly and unexpectedly
on the Sea of Galilee.
a. Sea of Galilee- Six miles wide and seventeen miles long.
b. Also called Tiberius, Gennesaireth, Chinnereth.
2. "The river Jordan maintains its course through the middle
of the lake, causing a strong current: and when this is opposed by contrary
winds, which blow here with the force of a hurricane from the southeast,
sweeping from the mountains into the lake, it may be conceived that a boisterous
sea is instantly raised: this the small vessels of the country are ill
qualified to resist." (Dr. E. D. Clark)
B. "But he was asleep"
1. Jesus knew that it was impossible for the storm to harm
him. He could sleep in confidence.
2. Jesus represents the calm of "walking by faith" in the midst
of the storm.
a. Romans 8:33-39
Matthew 8:25,26- "And his disciples came to him, and awoke him, saying,
Lord, save us: we perish. And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O
ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and
there was a great calm."
b. Hebrews 13:5-6
A. "Lord save us: we perish"
1. The disciples were fearful and desperate.
2. They had no hope without Christ.
a. John 14:6
B. "O ye of little faith?"
1. Jesus didn't say that they had no faith. They, at least,
knew who to turn to in time of need.
2. He said "little faith" - didn't they know that with the
Master present with them they were completely safe?
C. "Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there
was a great calm."
Matthew 8:27- "But the men marveled, saying, What manner of man is this,
that even the winds and the sea obey him!"
1. The sea and wind immediately both calmed.
A. Jesus was showing His divinity by demonstrating His power
THE GADAREN DEMONIACS HELPED
1. Colossians 1:16
(Matthew 8:28-34; Mark 5:1-19; Luke 8:26-39)
Matthew 8:28- "And when he was come to the other side into the country
of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out
of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way."
A. "And when he was come to the ...."
1. Matthew says two men were possessed by devils (demons)
Matthew 8:29- And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do
with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before
2. Was wearing no clothes- Luke 8:27
A. "What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God?"
1. He recognized the divinity of Jesus.
2. James 2:19
B. "Torment us before the time"
1. Jude 6
Matthew 8:30-32- "And there was a good way off from them an herd of
many swine feeding. So the devils besought him, saying, If thou cast us
out, suffer us to go away into the herd of swine. And he said unto them,
Go. And when they were come out, they went into the herd of swine: and,
behold, the whole herd of swine ran violently down a steep place into the
sea, and perished in the waters.
2. Matthew 25:41
A. "Herd of many swine feeding"
1. 2,000- Mark 5:13
2. Unlawful for Jews to raise swine.
3. An affront if gentiles were doing so in the country of the
B. "If thou cast us out..."
1. The demons want to enter the herd of swine.
Matthew 8:33,34- And they that kept them fled, and went their ways into
the city, and told every thing, and what was befallen to the possessed
of the devils. And, behold, the whole city came out to meet Jesus: and
when they saw him, they besought him that he would depart out of their
2. The demons entered to swine and ran headlong into the sea
A. "And they that kept them fled"
1. The people came out and begged Jesus to leave their country.
2. They cared more about the pigs that were lost than the men
who were saved.
3. Jesus won't force himself on anyone against their will.
a. Revelation 3:20
B. Some fault Jesus for the destruction of the swine. (Albert
Barnes from "Barnes Notes on the New Testament")
1. Christ and the Father has original right to all property.
a. Psalm 1:10-12
2. If the property were held by Jews it would be violation
of the Law.
3. The cure of two men is far more important than any property
FINAL NOTE: IN MARK'S ACCOUNT THE MAN WANTED TO ACCOMPANY JESUS. BUT JESUS
TOLD HIM TO GO TELL HIS FRIENDS WHAT GOD DONE FOR HIM. (MARK 5:18-19)
4. Jesus didn't command the demons to enter the swine, only
Copyright 1999 by Grady
Scott may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.