"IN GOD WE TRUST"
INTRODUCTION: For many years our currency has had the phrase "In God
We Trust." inscribed on one side. It is designed to demonstrate that our
country has placed it's trust in God to guide it through the most difficult
times in the past and hopefully, will in the future. "In God We Trust"
first appeared on U.S. coins after April 22, 1864, when Congress passed
an act authorizing the coinage of a 2-cent piece bearing this motto. Thereafter,
Congress extended its use to other coins. On July 30, 1956, it became the
The Christian should have a special appreciation for this phrase. It
should be "In God We Trust" in every area of our life.
I. TRUST GOD TO FORGIVE.
A. God wants to forgive us.
II. TRUST GOD TO KEEP US SAVED.
1. 1 Timothy 2:3-4 "For this is good and acceptable in the
sight of God our Savior, 4- who desires all men to be saved and to come
to the knowledge of the truth."
B. God has provided a means for our forgiveness, the blood of Jesus.
2. 2 Peter 3:9- "The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some
count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should
perish but that all should come to repentance."
1. Ephesians 1:7- "In Him we have redemption through His blood,
the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace"
2. Romans 3:24-26
3. Hebrews 7:25- "Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost
those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession
A. God has provided all we need to remain faithful.
III. TRUST GOD TO KEEP HIS WORD ABOUT HEAVEN AND HELL.
1. 2 Peter 1:2-3 "Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the
knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3- as His divine power has given
to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge
of Him who called us by glory and virtue,"
B. God has promised that we will not be tempted above our ability to bear.
2. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God,
and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for
correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17- that the man of God
may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."
1. 1 Corinthians 10:13- "No temptation has overtaken you except
such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to
be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also
make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it."
C. We can rest assured that God will be with us in the most difficult of
our problems if we only lean of Him.
1. You see, God cannot remove all the problems that we have
in this life. If he did He would take away the freedom of choice of mankind.
Christians are not promised escape from misfortune.
a. Job 14:1- ""Man who is born of woman Is of few days and
full of trouble."
2. But What God does is help us through the most difficult of our problems
to deliver us whole as Christians on the other
b. 2 Timothy 3:12- "Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ
Jesus will suffer persecution."
side of troubles.
a. John 16:33- ""These things I have spoken to you, that in
Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of
good cheer, I have overcome the world.""
A. God has promised Heaven to all His faithful.
IV. HOW CAN WE KNOW THAT WE CAN TRUST IN GOD TO KEEP HIS PROMISES?
1. John 14:1-3 "Let not your heart be troubled; you believe
in God, believe also in Me. 2- In My Father's house are many mansions;
if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3- And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive
you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also."
B. But He has also promised that the lost will go to a Devil's Hell.
2. 2 Corinthians 5:1- "For we know that if our earthly house, this tent,
is destroyed, we have a building from God, a
house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens."
3. Colossians 1:5- "because of the hope which is laid up for you in
heaven, of which you heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel,"
4. 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 "For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven
with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God.
And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17- Then we who are alive and remain
shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in
the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord."
1. Matthew 13:41- "The Son of Man will send out His angels,
and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those
who practice lawlessness, 42- and will cast them into the furnace of fire.
There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth."
2. Matthew 18:8- "If your hand or foot causes you to sin, cut it off
and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into
life lame or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet, to be
cast into the everlasting fire. 9- And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck
it out and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life with
one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire."
3. Matthew 25:41- ""Then He will also say to those on the left hand,
'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the
devil and his angels:"
4. Matthew 25:46- ""And these will go away into everlasting punishment,
but the righteous into eternal life.""
5. 2 Thessalonians 1:7-9 "and to give you who are troubled rest with
us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels,
8- in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on
those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9- These shall
be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence
of the Lord and from the glory of His power,"
6. You cannot believe in a Heaven and at the same time disbelieve God
when he talks about Hell.
A. We can know because it is against the very nature of God
CONCLUSION: Trust God to keep His Word! He will always be true and faithful.
He will be truthful to you when no one in the world will!
1. Titus 1:2- "in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot
lie, promised before time began,"
B. We can trust God because He has given us a revelation of His Will.
2. Hebrews 6:18- "that by two immutable things, in which it is impossible
for God to lie, we might have strong consolation, who have fled for refuge
to lay hold of the hope set before us."
3. Romans 3:4- "Certainly not! Indeed, let God be true but every man
a liar. As it is written: "That You may be justified in Your words, And
may overcome when You are judged.""
4. God simply does not have the capacity to lie because it is against
His very nature.
1. Acts 27:25- ""Therefore take heart, men, for I believe God
that it will be just as it was told me."
C. We can trust God because we have record of a multitude of kept promises.
2. Paul believed God because He had given him a revelation of His will.
3. Ephesians 3:3- "how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery
(as I have briefly written already, 4- by which, when you read, you may
understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ), 5- which in other ages
was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the
Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets:"
4. "Jesus loves me, this I know. For the Bible tells me so!"
1. Solomon: 1 Kings 8:56- "Blessed be the LORD, who has given
rest to His people Israel, according to all that He promised. There has
not failed one word of all His good promise, which He promised through
His servant Moses."
a. He brought the children of Israel out of Egyptian bondage
after 400 years, just like he said - Genesis 14:13 and
2. He kept His promise concerning the birth of the Messiah in Bethlehem
- Micah 5:2 and Matthew 2:1-6.
b. He allowed His children to be in captivity to the Babylonians for
70 years, and then delivered them - Jeremiah
25:11-12 and Daniel 9:2.
3. He kept His promise concerning the death and resurrection of Jesus
- Isaiah 53.
4. He kept His promise concerning the beginning the church in Jerusalem
- Isaiah 2:1ff and Acts 2.
5. He kept His promises concerning the fall of Babylon, Tyre and Sidon,
Egypt, Assyria, Rome, and the destruction of
Jerusalem. Not one promise was not kept!
6. 2 Corinthians 1:19-20 "For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was
preached among you by us; by me, Silvanus, and Timothy; was not Yes and
No, but in Him was Yes. 20- For all the promises of God in Him are Yes,
and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us."
Copyright 2000 by Grady
Scott may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.