LIVING BY THE FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT
INTRODUCTION: Christians are commanded to grow to maturity. Those who
are carnal prove that they are still babies. Paul tells us:
"And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but
as to carnal, as to babes in Christ. 2- I fed you with milk and not with
solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now
you are still not able; 3- for you are still carnal. For where there are
envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving
men?" (1 Corinthians 3:1-3).
Christians are commanded to "walk in the Spirit" in Galatians 5:16.
We do this by walking according to the Spirit's teachings, as found in
I. THERE IS A BATTLE THAT GOES ON IN OUR LIVES BETWEEN THE SPIRIT OF
GOD AND THE FLESH.
A. There is a battle going on in our bodies.
1. Galatians 5:17- For the flesh lusts against the Spirit,
and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another,
so that you do not do the things that you wish.
B. We have to constantly struggle to live according to the Spirit that
dwells in us!
1. Romans 8:13- For if you live according to the flesh you
will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body,
you will live.
2. Colossians 3:5-7 Therefore put to death your members which are on
the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness,
which is idolatry. 6- Because of these things the wrath of God is coming
upon the sons of disobedience, 7- in which you yourselves once walked when
you lived in them.
II. WE ARE TO LIVE UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, HENCE
"WALKING IN THE SPIRIT."
A. Being born again of the Spirit and having the Spirit dwell
in us is a prerequisite to being able to have the Spirit control our lives.
III. A BRIEF EXPOSITION OF THE "FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT."
1. John 3:3-5
B. How do we walk in the Spirit and thus be able to bear the fruit of the
2. Titus 3:5- not by works of righteousness which we have done, but
according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration
and renewing of the Holy Spirit,
3. 1 Peter 1:23- having been born again, not of corruptible seed but
incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever,
4. Romans 8:9- But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed
the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit
of Christ, he is not His.
1. We walk according to the Spirit's directions and instructions,
sensitive to His leading.
a. Romans 8:14- For as many as are led by the Spirit of God,
these are sons of God.
2. How do we know His leading?
a. We walk according to his leading, as found in His instruction
manual, the Holy Scriptures.
3. Thus, we are to listen for the leading of the Holy Spirit in our lives
(His Word) and allow it to influence us in
b. Psalms 119:105- Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my
c. Ephesians 4:1; 6:17- I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech
you to walk worthy of the calling with which
you were called.... And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword
of the Spirit, which is the word of God;
d. 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14 But we are bound to give thanks to God always
for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning chose
you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the
truth, 14- to which He called you by our gospel, for the obtaining of the
glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
bearing the fruit of the Spirit.
C. What does it mean to bear the "fruit of the Spirit?"
1. John 15:8- "By this My Father is glorified, that you bear
much fruit; so you will be My disciples.
2. Some has mistakenly thought that "bear fruit" had to be limited to
just teaching and baptizing other Christians. While the this is certainly
a part of the Christian life and will be the result of our life, Galatians
5 teaches us that fruit is the manner of life that we display before others.
3. Thus, the fruit of the spirt are those characteristic of a godly
life that we display as a result of being under
the influence of the Spirit.
1. Love is the foundation of the fruit of the Spirit that we
are to bear in our lives.
2. 1 Corinthians 13:1-3; 13
3. Love makes us complete and allows us to have the other characteristics
in our lives. Without love we cannot have the
a. Romans 13:10- Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore
love is the fulfillment of the law.
b. Colossians 3:14- But above all these things put on love, which is
the bond of perfection.
1. Joy is an a feeling of complete satisfaction and gladness.
2. It is a byproduct of our relationship with God.
a. Matthew 28:8- So they went out quickly from the tomb with
fear and great joy, and ran to bring His disciples word.
3. Christians are commanded to continually rejoice.
b. Luke 24:52- And they worshiped Him, and returned to Jerusalem with
c. Acts 8:39- Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of
the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch
saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing.
a. Philippians 4:4- Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will
1. Literally means calmness and tranquility of mind and heart.
2. True peace comes through a relationship with God.
a. Romans 5:1- Therefore, having been justified by faith, we
have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
3. Because we have peace with God through the forgiveness of our sins we
can have a peace in our souls!
a. Philippians 4:7- and the peace of God, which surpasses all
understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
b. John 15:27- "And you also will bear witness, because you have been
with Me from the beginning.
1. It is the ability to undergo trials, tribulations, and suffering
without wavering from our faithfulness. It enables us to endure hardship.
2. A characteristic of God.
a. 2 Peter 3:9- The Lord is not slack concerning His promise,
as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that
any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
3. Colossians 1:11; 3:11- strengthened with all might, according to His
glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy; ... Therefore,
as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness,
humility, meekness, longsuffering;
1. While longsuffering is passive, patient under affliction,
kindness is the active seeking of the best for all, even our enemies.
2. Romans 12:20- Therefore "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he
is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire
on his head. 21- Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
3. Ephesians 4:32- And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving
one another, just as God in Christ forgave you.
4. Kindness leads us to never seek someone harm or hurt, to do good
toward them. Even when we might need to rebuke sin, we must do so in a
loving and kind manner. Anger should never rule over us!
1. This is a general right living, good citizenship, good neighbor
kind of attitude.
2. Romans 15:14- Now I myself am confident concerning you, my brethren,
that you also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also
to admonish one another.
3. Ephesians 5:9- (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness,
1. Fidelity, the characteristic of being able to be relied
2. Faithfulness is something that all Christians should strive for.
3. Look at a couple of examples.
a. Galatians 3:9- So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing
b. Hebrews 3:5- And Moses indeed was faithful in all His house as a
servant, for a testimony of those things which would be spoken afterward,
c. 1 Timothy 1:12- And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has enabled
me, because He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry,
4. A great blessing for Christians who are faithful.
a. Matthew 25:21- "His lord said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful
servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over
many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.'
b. Luke 12:42-44 And the Lord said, "Who then is that faithful and wise
steward, whom his master will make ruler over his household, to give them
their portion of food in due season? 43-"Blessed is that servant whom his
master will find so doing when he comes. 44- "Truly, I say to you that
he will make him ruler over all that he has.
1. Another word we could use for this is meekness or humility.
2. Matthew 11:28-29 "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden,
and I will give you rest. 29- Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me,
for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."
3. Galatians 6:1- Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you
who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of
gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted.
4. 1 Peter 3:15- But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always
be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope
that is in you, with meekness and fear;
1. The virtue that masters ones desires and passions, especially
the sensual appetites.
2. Acts 24:25- Now as he reasoned about righteousness, self-control,
and the judgment to come, Felix was afraid and
answered, "Go away for now; when I have a convenient time I will call
3. 1 Corinthians 9:25- And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate
in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for
an imperishable crown.
CONCLUSION: "Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry
and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy. But
put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill
its lusts" (Romans 13:13-14).
Copyright 2000 by Grady
Scott may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.