|EXHORTATIONS TO GOSPEL PREACHERS
INTRODUCTION: Have you ever gone into a restaurant during the winter
and notice the coat rack? It will probably have a dozen different hats
and caps of all different description hanging along with coats and scarfs.
That reminds me of the work of a gospel preacher He is called on to be
about everything today. He baptizes, buries, marries, counsels, visits,
plans, meets, and oh, yes, even finds time to preach a little on the side!
Seriously, preachers seem to have some many different "jobs" that I
think sometimes we forget what our real job is all about! The book of Titus
was written by the apostle Paul to the young evangelist Titus to remind
him what his work as a gospel preacher was all about! In Titus 3 we can
read of some things that Paul told Titus to do in his work. While not an
exhaustive list, they are quite revealing in light of all the things that
brethren believe is the work of gospel preachers.
I. THE EVANGELIST HAS A RESPONSIBILITY TO ENCOURAGE RIGHT CONDUCT TOWARD
THOSE OUTSIDE THE BODY. (Verses 1-2)
A. The preacher is to teach brethren to subject to the government.
II. PAUL TELLS TITUS WHY HE SHOULD ENCOURAGE THE BRETHREN TO DO GOOD TO
ALL MEN AND BE PATIENT WITH THEIR SINS. (Verses 3-7).
1. Titus 3:1- Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities,
to obey, to be ready for every good work,
B. We are to be loving, gentle, and kind toward all!
2. Christians have a responsibility to be good citizens, obey the Law,
and pray for their leaders.
3. Romans 13:1ff
4. 1 Peter 2:17- "Honor all people. Love the brotherhood. Fear God.
Honor the king."
5. The being "ready for every good work" seems to be those works relative
to our responsibilities toward those in authority.
1. Verse 2- "to speak evil of no one, to be peaceable, gentle,
showing all humility to all men."
2. 2 Timothy 2:24- "And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be
gentle to all, able to teach, patient,"
A. We should be patient toward all men because we were in sin
too, before becoming Christians.
III. WHAT SHOULD THE FAITHFUL PREACHER EMPHASIZE IN HIS WORK? (Verses 8-11).
1. Titus 3:3- For we ourselves were also once foolish, disobedient,
deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living
B. We are saved by the grace of God, not by our own efforts of personal
in malice and envy, hateful and hating one another.
2. 1 Corinthians 6:9-11
1. Verses 4-7 But when the kindness and the love of God our
Savior toward man appeared, 5- not by works of righteousness which we have
done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration
and renewing of the Holy Spirit, 6- whom He poured out on us abundantly
through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7- that having been justified by His grace
we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
2. 2 Timothy 1:9- "who has saved us and called us with a holy calling,
not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace
which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began,"
3. Ephesians 2:9-10
A. He must be constantly encouraging the brethren to do good
CONCLUSION: J. Vernon McGee, in his program Walk Through the Bible had
this to say about preaching. "I am not a obstetrician bringing babies to
birth, but a pediatrician whose job it is to give believers the milk of
the Word and then to try to give them a porterhouse steak now and then."
While I might argue that we have the responsibility for teaching about
the new birth as well, it does illustrate that preachers have a responsibility
to lead brethren to maturity but the preaching of the word.
1. These seem to be good works for the Lord and toward others
B. Teach brethren to avoid endless disputes over matters not concerning
2. Verse 8- This is a faithful saying, and these things I want you to
affirm constantly, that those who have believed in God
should be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and
profitable to men.
3. This is the kind of works that are done by Christians for others
to glory God and His church.
4. Ephesians 2:10- "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus
for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."
5. Titus 2:14- "who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from
every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous
for good works."
6. When brethren are laboring in the work of the Lord, they have little
time to tear down the body of Christ.
1. Verse 9- But avoid foolish disputes, genealogies, contentions,
and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and useless.
C. Reject all those who cannot be turned about from useless and divisive
matter in the church.
2. Paul is urging Titus to train brethren to avoid arguing over matter
where there is no value.
3. This "majoring in minors" is behind this passage. Titus is not to
get himself tangled up with those who want to argue and fuss over useless
1. Verses 10-11 "Reject a divisive man after the first and
second admonition, 11- knowing that such a person is warped and sinning,
2. 2 Timothy 2:22-26
3. Romans 16:17- "Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions
and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them."
Copyright 2000 by Grady
Scott may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.