INTRODUCTION: It is sad when a doctor comes into the waiting room to tell the anxious family of a desperately ill person that there is no hope! Hope is that expectation, that desire that keeps people going in seemingly impossible situations.
But many today feel that there is no hope in their live for improvement of their situations. Christians, however, have a real, lively, hope.
I. OUR HOPE IS DIFFERENT THAN WHAT MOST CONSIDER HOPE
A. Most feel today that hope is not assurance.
1. Webster-"To desire with expectation or with belief in the possibility of obtaining."
2. We might "hope" for a new suit or new car.
B. But Bible hope carries with it ASSURANCE, based on evidence, not a blind leap.
II. THE CHRISTIAN'S ONE HOPE IS CENTERED IN JESUS CHRIST.1. The definition of the Greek word for hope according to several respected Greek scholars.a. W. E. Vine- "a favorable and confident expectation." ( Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, age 572)2. New Testament hope, when speaking of spiritual things, in never some vague wish, but is a sure expectation of the truth of the unseen.
A. Our hope is a living hope.
1. Colossians 1:27 - To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
3. Our hope is not centered in a dead man, such as Buddha, Mohammed, or Moses.
4. The old hymn we sing sums up this principle- "My hope is built on nothing less, than Jesus' blood and righteousness."
B. Our hope is not in vain because of Christ's resurrection.
III. WE HAVE ABUNDANT HOPE IN CHRIST1. 1 Corinthians 15:1-8 Many witnesses
A. Hope of salvation.
1. Colossians 1:5 - because of the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, of which you heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel,
B. We have hope of the resurrection of the Dead.
1. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
IV. ONLY DESPAIR WITHOUT THE CHRISTIAN HOPE.2. 1 John 3:2,3 - Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 - And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.
A. All can have it if they submit to Christ
1. Matthew 11:28-30
2. Revelation 22:17 - And the Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.
B. The only lasting hope is found in Christ.
CONCLUSION: Is your hope for peace of mind in the life and everlasting life in eternity founded on Jesus.1. John 14:6C. Outside of Christ is not hope!1. Just like when the last lifeboat left the Titanic.
Copyright 1999 by Grady
Scott may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.