"GO, AND DO LIKEWISE"
INTRODUCTION: Jesus used these words to encourage a Pharisees to show
mercy. (Luke 10:37) There are several examples found in the New Testament
that we could admonish each other with the exact word, "Go, and do likewise."
I. AN EXAMPLE OF SELF-SACRIFICE.
A. The brethren of the churches of Macedonia.
II. AN EXAMPLE OF REPENTANCE.
1. II Corinthians 8:1-5
B. We are told to put the Lord first in our lives.
2. They were willing to give themselves to the Lord.
3. Once that was accomplished they had no problem determining the amount
of their financial commitment to the Lord.
1. Matthew 6:33 - "But seek first the kingdom of God and His
righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
C. Our Lord Jesus Christ controls the lives of his children.
1. Romans 14:8 - For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if
we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the
2. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 "Or do you not know that your body is the temple
of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not
your own? 20- For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in
your body and in your spirit, which are God's."
A. Simon the Sorcerer.
III. AN EXAMPLE OF SEARCHING THE SCRIPTURES.
1. Acts 8:18-25
B. When Christians become unfaithful they need to repent and seek forgiveness.
2. While some may look down on this man for this sin, how many of us
if we would be truthful to ourselves, would not have sinned in the past
that caused us to be ashamed.
3. He showed a penitent attitude.
4. He sought the prayers of other Christians that he might to be lost.
1. James 4:4-10
2. James 5:19-20 "Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth,
and someone turns him back, 20- let him know that he who turns a sinner
from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude
A. The Bereans.
IV. AN EXAMPLE OF OBEDIENCE.
1. Acts 17:11 - These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica,
in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures
daily to find out whether these things were so.
B. The Scriptures should be searched regularly:
2. Notice several important truths that Luke reveals.
a. Searching the scriptures in noble. (a commendable trait)
b. They received the preaching of Paul readily.
c. They proved the preaching of Paul by searching the Scriptures.
d. They studied on a regular basis.
1. Because it is the only means of salvation.
a. Romans 1:16
2. Because it is the only thing that will enable us to grow as Christians.
b. Romans 10:17
c. James 1:21 - Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness,
and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your
d. 1 Peter 1:23 - having been born again, not of corruptible seed but
incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever,
a. 1 Peter 2:2 - as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of
the word, that you may grow thereby,
3. Because it furnishes us completely.
a. II Timothy 3:16,17
4. Because it will judge us on the last day.
a. John 12:48 - "He who rejects Me, and does not receive My
words, has that which judges him; the word that I have spoken will judge
him in the last day.
b. Revelation 20:12 - And I saw the dead, small and great, standing
before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is
the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by
the things which were written in the books.
A. The Corinthians.
V. AN EXAMPLE OF ENCOURAGEMENT.
1. Acts 18:8 - Then Crispus, the ruler of the synagogue, believed
on the Lord with all his household. And many of the Corinthians, hearing,
believed and were baptized.
B. This is the proper way to respond to the word when it is preached.
2. They responded in the God approved way to the preaching of Paul.
3. This was in spite of some who opposed the word of God.
a. Acts 18:5-6 "When Silas and Timothy had come from Macedonia,
Paul was compelled by the Spirit, and testified to the Jews that Jesus
is the Christ. 6- But when they opposed him and blasphemed, he shook his
garments and said to them, "Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean.
From now on I will go to the Gentiles."
1. There is "danger and death in delay."
2. 2 Corinthians 6:2 - For He says: "In an acceptable time I have heard
you, And in the day of salvation I have helped you." Behold, now is the
accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.
3. Acts 22:16
a. Acts 9:18 - Immediately there fell from his eyes something
like scales, and he received his sight at once; and he arose and was baptized.
A. Barnabas, the son of Consolation. (Acts 4:36)
VI. AN EXAMPLE OF CONTENTMENT.
1. Acts 11:22-24
B. We need exhorters, what we commonly call encouragers.
2. When Barnabas saw good work going on he encouraged it to continue,
not seeking to discourage the brethren.
1. Hebrews 10:24-25 "And let us consider one another in order
to stir up love and good works, 25- not forsaking the assembling of ourselves
together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much
the more as you see the Day approaching.
A. The apostle Paul.
CONCLUSION: Many times preachers stress the negative example in the Bible
of individuals we should not follow after. These are certainly individuals
whom we would do well in following their example in these matters.
1. Philippians 4:11-12 "Not that I speak in regard to need,
for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: 12- I know how
to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I
have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer
B. We, too, can be content if we realize that we have the greatest riches
in the world-the Lord being with us.
2. How did he do this?
a. He learned to trust in the Lord.
b. Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens
1. Hebrews 13:5 - Let your conduct be without covetousness;
be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will
never leave you nor forsake you."
2. Psalms 37:25 - I have been young, and now am old; Yet I have not
seen the righteous forsaken, Nor his descendants begging bread.
Copyright 2000 by Grady
Scott may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.