BUILDING UP THE CHURCH
INTRODUCTION: One of my wife's favorite television channels is the Home
and Garden Channel. On it are several shows that take old houses and rebuild
them. A group of trained professionals come in with all the right tools
and turn a house "inside out!" When they are through it is a completely
All Christians are "house builders." We are worker together with God
to build up the kingdom. We work with our Lord to make the church what
it should be.
I. THE LORD WORKED AS A WISE MASTER BUILDER, CONSTRUCTING THE CHURCH.
A. Our Lord promised to build his church.
II. THE LORD HAS COMMISSIONED CHRISTIANS TO DO THE WORK OF BUILDING UP
1. Matthew 16:18
B. He is the foundation upon which the church is built.
1. 1 Corinthians 3:10, 11 - According to the grace of God which
was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and
another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 11
- For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which
is Jesus Christ.
2. Matthew 21:42 - Jesus said to them, "Have you never read in the Scriptures:
'The stone which the builders rejected Has become the chief cornerstone.
This was the Lord's doing, And it is marvelous in our eyes'?
A. The church is a living organism, a living and continually
being built up building.
III. THERE ARE A NUMBER OF PRACTICAL THINGS WE CAN DO TO BUILD UP THE CHURCH.
1. Ephesians 2:21, 22 - in whom the whole building, being joined
together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, 22 - in whom you also are
being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.
B. But just as we are living "bricks" in the house of God, we are also
workers together for the up building of the kingdom of God.
2. 1 Peter 2:5 - you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual
house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to
God through Jesus Christ.
3. Ephesians 4:15, 16 - but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up
in all things into Him who is the head; Christ; 16 - from whom the whole
body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according
to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth
of the body for the edifying of itself in love.
4. 1 Timothy 3:15 - but if I am delayed, I write so that you may know
how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church
of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
1. 2 Corinthians 6:1 - We then, as workers together with Him
also plead with you not to receive the grace of God in vain.
C. As any builders, we are responsible for our work.
2. Ephesians 2:10 - For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus
for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
1. 1 Corinthians 4:1, 2 - Let a man so consider us, as servants
of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. 2 - Moreover it is required
in stewards that one be found faithful.
2. 1 Peter 4:10 - As each one has received a gift, minister it to one
another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
3. Just as a building is responsible for the strength of the house he
builds, the building of God is only as strong as the work and labor we
put into it.
A. Attend all meetings of the church.
CONCLUSION: Each worker on the "church building" is important! Remember:
1. Acts 2:42 - And they continued steadfastly in the apostles'
doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in
B. Invite others to come hear the Bible taught (Rev. 22:17).
2. Hebrews 10:25 - not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together,
as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more
as you see the Day approaching.
1. Revelation 22:17 - And the Spirit and the bride say, "Come!"
And let him who hears say, "Come!" And let him who thirsts come. Whoever
desires, let him take the water of life freely.
C. Pray without ceasing
1. 1 Thess. 5:17
D. Study the Bible regularly.
2. Luke 18:1 - Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought
to pray and not lose heart,
1. Colossians 1:10 - that you may walk worthy of the Lord,
fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in
the knowledge of God;
E. Cooperate with the elders.
1. Hebrews 13:17 - Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive,
for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let
them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable
F. Give Liberally and Cheerfully.
1. 2 Corinthians 9:6, 7 - But this I say: He who sows sparingly
will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.
7 - So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or
of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.
G. Have more sincere love for the Lord and others.
1. Romans 12:9, 10 - Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what
is evil. Cling to what is good. 10 - Be kindly affectionate to one another
with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another;
"I AM SIGNIFICANT! Matthew 5:13,14 I am the salt and light of the earth.
John 15:1,5 I am a branch of the true vine, a channel of His life. John
15:16 I have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit. 1 Corinthians 3:16
I am God's temple. 2 Corinthians 5:17 I am a minister of reconciliation
for God. 2 Corinthians 6:1 I am God's co-worker (I Corinthians 3:9) Ephesians
2:6 I am seated with Christ in the heavenly realm Ephesians 2:10 I am God's
workmanship Ephesians 3:12 I may approach God with freedom and confidence.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Copyright 2000 by Grady
Scott may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.