WHAT KIND OF CHURCH DOES THE LORD WANT?
INTRODUCTION: Politicians constantly send out questionnaires to check
the "pulse" of their constituents. They want to stay on top of what they
want. Let's turn the concept around and see what the Bible says concerning
what kind of church the Lord wants.
I. GOD WANTS A SPIRITUALLY MINDED CHURCH.
A. The church in Jerusalem.
II. GOD WANTS AN EVANGELISTIC CHURCH.
1. Acts 2:41-47 "Then those who gladly received his word were
baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them. 42
And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship,
in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. 43 Then fear came upon every
soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. 44 Now
all who believed were together, and had all things in common, 45 and sold
their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had
need. 46 So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking
bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity
of heart, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the
Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved."
B. The Lord desires a church dedicated to Him.
1. 2 Corinthians 6:17-18 "Therefore "Come out from among them
And be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, And I will
receive you. 18 I will be a Father to you, And you shall be My sons and
daughters, Says the LORD Almighty.""
C. Our emphasis must be on the spiritual.
1. Colossians 3:16- "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly
in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns
and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."
A. God wants the church to carry the truth to the world.
III. GOD WANTS A DOCTRINALLY PURE CHURCH.
1. Ephesians 3:9-11 "and to make all see what is the fellowship
of the mystery, which from the beginning of the ages has been hidden in
God who created all things through Jesus Christ; 10 to the intent that
now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the
principalities and powers in the heavenly places, 11 according to the eternal
purpose which He accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord,"
B. The church in the first century was an evangelistic church.
2. 1 Timothy 3:15- "but if I am delayed, I write so that you may know
how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church
of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth."
1. Acts 5:42- "And daily in the temple, and in every house,
they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ."
2. Acts 8:4- "Therefore those who were scattered went everywhere preaching
3. Acts 14:1- "Now it happened in Iconium that they went together to
the synagogue of the Jews, and so spoke that a great multitude both of
the Jews and of the Greeks believed."
A. The New Testament ordains it.
IV. GOD WANTS A CHURCH AT PEACE WITH ITSELF.
1. Romans 16:17- "Now I urge you, brethren, note those who
cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned,
and avoid them."
B. How do we maintain this desired purity?
2. Galatians 1:6- "I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him
who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel, 7 which is
not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the
gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any
other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.
9 As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other
gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed."
3. Ephesians 4:14-15 "that we should no longer be children, tossed to
and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery
of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, 15 but, speaking
the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head;
4. Ephesians 5:11- "And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works
of darkness, but rather expose them."
5. 2 John 9-11 "Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine
of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has
both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring
this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; 11 for
he who greets him shares in his evil deeds."
1. Acts 17:11- "These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica,
in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures
daily to find out whether these things were so."
2. 1 Thessalonians 5:21- "Test all things; hold fast what is good."
3. 1 Peter 4:11- "If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of
God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies,
that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong
the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen."
A. The Bible teaches us to follow peace.
CONCLUSION: In an age when churches are preoccupied by wanting to know
about the "needs" of the person in the pew, the Lord's church should never
fall into such a trap. Recreation, entertainment, and the social gospel
will never take the place of what the Lord wants. Let's never worry so
much at what others want as to what God wants.
1. 1 Corinthians 14:33- "For God is not the author of
B. God loves peacemakers.
confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints."
2. 2 Corinthians 13:11- "Finally, brethren, farewell. Become complete.
Be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love
and peace will be with you."
3. Ephesians 4:3- "endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the
bond of peace."
4. 1 Thessalonians 5:13- "and to esteem them very highly in love for
their work's sake. Be at peace among yourselves."
5. Romans 14:19- "Therefore let us pursue the things which make for
peace and the things by which one may edify another."
6. James 3:18- "Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those
who make peace."
1. Matthew 5:9- "Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall
be called sons of God."
2. Proverbs 12:20- "Deceit is in the heart of those who devise evil,
But counselors of peace have joy."
Copyright 2000 by Grady
Scott may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.