WHY SHOULD I FOLLOW JESUS?
INTRODUCTION: Why should a non-Christian chose to follow Jesus? There
are a number of religious leaders in the world who are very popular. Mohammed
commands the loyalty of over 1/4 of the world's population. Buddha's adherents
number in the millions. Millions more follow Moses and the old law. Who
should I follow Jesus and obey him?
I. WE SHOULD FOLLOW JESUS BECAUSE OF WHO HE IS.
A. Jesus is God's Son.
II. WE SHOULD FOLLOW JESUS BECAUSE OF WHAT HE HAS DONE FOR US.
1. Christianity is the only religion that offers the missing
link between God and men.
B. Jesus is the head of God's church.
a. 1 Timothy 2:5 - "For there is one God, and one mediator
between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;"
2. Jesus is different. As Son of God he is one of a kind.
a. John 3:16
3. Matthew 16:16-18 "Simon Peter answered and said, "You are the Christ,
the Son of the living God."" 17- "Jesus answered and said to him, "Blessed
are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to
you, but My Father who is in heaven. 18- And I also say to you that you
are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades
shall not prevail against it."
b. John 1:1-2, 14
4. John 6:63-69 ""It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits
nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. 64-
But there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus knew from the
beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him.
65- And He said, "Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to
Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father. 66- From that time many
of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more. 67- Then Jesus
said to the twelve, "Do you also want to go away? 68- But Simon Peter answered
Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life." 69-
Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son
of the living God.""
1. Colossians 1:18 - "And he is the head of the body, the church:
who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he
might have the preeminence."
C. Jesus is the only source of eternal salvation.
2. Ephesians 5:23 - "For the husband is the head of the wife, even as
Christ is the head of the church: and he is the savior of the body."
1. John 14:6 - "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth,
and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by me."
2. Acts 4:12 - "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is
none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."
3. Hebrews 5:8-9 "Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by
the things which he suffered; And being made perfect, he became the author
of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;"
A. He willingly laid down his life for us because he loved
III. WE SHOULD FOLLOW JESUS BECAUSE OF WHAT HE CAN DO FOR US.
1. John 10:17-18 ""Therefore My Father loves Me, because I
lay down My life that I may take it again. 18- No one takes it from Me,
but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power
to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.
B. He gave His body as a sacrifice for our sins.
2. John 15:13 - "Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down
his life for his friends."
1. Hebrews 10:10, 14, 20- "By that will we have been sanctified
through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all....14- For
by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified....20-
by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil,
that is, His flesh,"
C. He was resurrected to give us victory over the grave.
2. Romans 3:25 - "whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood,
through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness,
because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously
3. 1 Peter 2:24 - "who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the
tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for
righteousness; by whose stripes you were healed."
1. Romans 4:25 - "Who was delivered for our offences, and was
raised again for our justification."
2. 1 Corinthians 15:17-20 "And if Christ is not risen, your faith is
futile; you are still in your sins! Then also those who have fallen asleep
in Christ have perished. 19- If in this life only we have hope in Christ,
we are of all men the most pitiable. 20- But now Christ is risen from the
dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep."
A. He can give true rest for our labors.
1. He can give rest both now and in eternity.
B. He can save us from our sins.
2. Matthew 11:28 "Come unto me, all you that labor and are heavy laden,
and I will give you rest."
3. Revelation 14:13 - "Then I heard a voice from heaven saying to me,
"Write: 'Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.' " "Yes,"
says the Spirit, "that they may rest from their labors, and their works
1. Hebrews 7:25 - "Therefore He is also able to save to the
uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make
intercession for them."
C. He can give us the strength to overcome great obstacles.
1. Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ who
IV. WE SHOULD FOLLOW JESUS BECAUSE OF WHAT HE WILL DO.
A. He will come again.
CONCLUSION: Will Jesus appear the second time as your savior, or will he
judge you unworthy of eternal life. "Who will follow Jesus standing for
the right, holding up his banner in the thickest fight."
1. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-17 "But I do not want you to be ignorant,
brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others
who have no hope. 14- For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again,
even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. 15- For this
we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive
B. He will come as Savior to those who are prepared.
and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those
who are asleep. 16- For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with
a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And
the dead in Christ will rise first. 17- Then we who are alive and remain
shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in
the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord."
2. Titus 2:13 - "Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing
of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ;"
1. Hebrews 9:27-28 "And as it is appointed unto men once to
die, but after this the judgment: 28 So Christ was once offered to bear
the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second
time without sin unto salvation."
C. But He will come as Judge.
1. 2 Corinthians 5:10
Copyright 1999 by Grady
Scott may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.