I. THE OPPOSITION AGAINST CHRIST: VS 1-9
A. This was the knowledge of that opposition. v 1 (Jesus knew that
the Jews were seeking to kill Him.)
B. This was the cause of that opposition. vs 2-5 (Many of the Jew
did not believe in Christ.)
C. These was the reasons for that opposition. vs 6-9 (Jesus testified
of the wickedness of the world.)
II. THE SEARCH FOR CHRIST: VS 10-13
A. This was the cause for that search. v 10 (Jesus delayed His journey
to the feast.)
B. This was the reality of that search. v 11 (They asked, "Where is
C. This was the controversy of that search. v 12 (They were divided
D. This was the failure of that search. v 13 (Those people, who were
seeking Jesus, feared the Jews.)
III. THE TEACHINGS OF CHRIST: VS 14-24
A. This was the astonishment of His teaching. vs 14-15
1. They asked, "How knoweth this man letters, have never learned?"
2. Knowing the Lord is the greatest knowledge on earth. Col. 2:3
B. This was the authority of His teaching. vs 16-18
1. Jesus replied, "My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me."
2. We should accept the authority of Christ. Matt. 28:18-20
C. This was the knowledge of His teaching. vs 19-20
1. Jesus revealed, "You seek to kill me."
2. We should seek the Lord for the right purposes. Acts 17:27-28
D. This was the appeal of His teaching. vs 21-23
1. Jesus asked, "Why shouldn't I do good on the Sabbath day?"
2. All persons should worship the Lord their God on Sunday which is
the Lord's day. Acts 20:7, 1 Cor. 16:1-2
E. This was the admonition of His teaching. v 24
1. Jesus said, "Judge righteous judgment."
2. Christians must judge righteous judgment. Matt. 7:1-5
IV. THE REJECTION OF CHRIST: VS 25-31
A. This was the cause for that rejection. vs 25-26
1. They were rejecting the Deity of Christ because Jesus was boldly
speaking of His Divinity.
2. All persons should know the Deity of Christ. Phil. 2:5-11, John
1:1-3,14, Matt. 1:18-24
B. This was the reason for that rejection. v 27
1. The rejection of Christ was caused by ignorance.
2. God does not overlook our ignorance. Acts 17:30-31
C. This was the plea against that rejection. vs 28-29
1. Jesus cried and testified that He was Divine.
2. All persons should believe in His Deity. 1 Tim. 3:15, 2 Cor. 5:18
D. This was the way to overcome that rejection. vs 30-31
1. They should have believed His teachings and miracles.
2. We must believe His teachings and miracles. John 12:48, John 20:30-31
V. JESUS TOLD OF HIS ASCENSION: VS 32-36
A. This was the assurance of His ascension. vs 32-33 (Jesus said,
"I go unto him that sent me.") Acts 1:9-11
B. This was the exclusion of His ascension. v 34 (Heaven is a prepared
place for a prepared people.) John 14:1-3
C. This was the mystery of His ascension. vs 34-36 (There was spiritual
blindness concerning His ascension.) Eph. 5:14-16
VI. THE WATER OF LIFE: VS 37-39
A. This is the universal appeal for that water of life. v 37
1. Any person can come and drink of that water. Matt. 11:28-30
2. We are invited to come and drink of that water of life. Rev. 22:17
B. This is the blessing of that water of life. v 38
1. That water is the living water of life.
2. We can drink of that living water of life. Matt. 5:8
C. This is the source of that water of life. v 39
1. The Holy Spirit is the source of that water of life because He
has given unto us the inspired word of God. Matt. 4:4, 2 Peter 1:20-21,
2 Tim. 3:16- 17
2. Christians must drink of that water of life. 2 Peter 1:3
VII. THE CONTROVERSY OVER CHRIST: VS 40-44
A. This was the scope of that controversy. vs 40-41
1. They denies that Jesus was not that prophet and that He was not
the Christ. Deut. 18:15-18
2. Christians must believe that Jesus was that prophet and that He
is the Christ. Luke 24:44-48
B. This was the cause of that controversy. v 42
1. They lacked the knowledge of the scriptures.
2. Christians should not lack the knowledge of the scriptures. John
5:39, 2 Tim. 2:15
C. This was the result of that controversy. vs 43-44
1. There was division concerning the Deity and the authority of Christ
2. There should not be any division among Christians concerning the
Deity and the authority of Christ. 1 Cor. 1:10-13
VIII. THE PLOT AGAINST JESUS: VS 45-53
A. These were the instigators of that plot. v 45 (The chief Priest
and Pharisees were the instigators of that plot.)
B. This was the amazement of that plot. v 46 (They said, "Never man
spake like this man.")
C. This was the reason for that plot. vs 47-48 (They did not believe
D. This was the rebuke for that plot. vs 50-51 (They asked, "How can
we judge Jesus without a trail?")
E. This was the confusion of that plot. vs 52-53 ("Every man went
unto his own house.")
I. THE SINFUL WOMAN: VS 1-11
A. This was the deed of that sinful woman. vs 1-4
1. She was an adulteress. vs 1-4
2. We as alien sinners have committed spiritual adultery against God.
B. This was the demand for that sinful woman. v 5
1. She was worthy of death. Romans 6:23
2. We as alien sinners were worthy of spiritual death because we have
sinned against God. Romans 3:10,23, Romans 6:23
C. This was the hope for that sinful woman. vs 6-9
1. Jesus gave her hope for her sins. vs 6-9
2. Jesus gives us hope for our sins. 1 Cor. 15:1-4, Romans 1:16
D. This was the forgiveness of her sins. vs 10-11
1. Jesus forgave her of her sins. vs 10-11
2. Jesus will forgive us of our sins. John 8:31-32
II. THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD: VS 12-20
A This was the reality of that Light. v 12
1. Jesus said, "I am the light of the world."
2. Christians are the light of the world. Matt. 5:14-16
B. These are the blessings of that Light. v 12
1. Those persons who follow Christ shall not walk in darkness, but
in the Light.
2. Disciples are walking in the Light. 1 John 1:7-9
C. This was the opposition against that Light. v 13
1. They said of Jesus, "Thy record is not true."
2. Saints know and believe that His record is true. Eph. 1:4
D. These were the defenses of that Light. vs 14-17
1. Jesus said, "My record is true." vs 14-16, John 3:1-2
2. Jesus said, "The Father that sent me beareth witness of me." v
18, Matt. 17:1-8
E. These were the hindrances of that Light. vs 19-20
1. Those people lack knowledge of that Light. vs 19-20 (Jesus said,
"Ye neither know me, nor my Father.")
2. Shouldn't we know that the Father, the Word and the Holy Spirit
are the three Divine Persons who created our own sinless nature of life?
1 John 5:7, Gen. 1:26-27, Deut. 6:4
3. Shouldn't we know that the Father, the Word and the Holy Spirit
are the three Divine Person who made Themselves to be called the Father,
the Son and the Holy Spirit so that They could redeem our own sinful nature
of life? Acts 2:34-36, Matt. 20:18-20
4. Shouldn't we know that the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit
are the three Divine Persons who redeemed our own sinful nature of life?
Matt. 28:18-20, 2 Cor. 5:17, Gal. 3:27, Acts 2:38
III. THE DIVINITY OF CHRIST: VS 21-30
A. This was the authority of His Divinity. v 21
1. The sinner can not go where Christ is.
2. Christians must accept His authority. Matt. 28:18-20
B. This was the proof of His Divinity. vs 22-23
1. Jesus said, "I am from above."
2. Disciples must seek Christ who is above. Col. 3:1-4
C. This was the command of His Divinity. v 24
1. Jesus commanded them to have a faith which works by love.
2. Saints should have a faith which works by love. Gal. 5:6
D. This was the revelation of His Divinity. vs 25-27
1. Jesus spoke to them of the Father.
2. Jesus has revealed the Father unto us. John 14:9, John 10:10
E. This was the power of His Divinity. vs 28-30
1. The crucifixion of Christ is the power of His Divinity. Romans
1:16, 1 Cor. 15:1-4
2. Members of the church must believe in the death, burial and resurrection
of Christ to find happiness. 1 Cor. 15:14-20
IV. THE PREEMINENCE OF CHRIST: VS 31-37
A. These are the commandments of His Preeminence. vs 31-32
1. A Christian must continue in His words. John 12:48
2. A disciple must obey His words. Heb. 5:8-9
B. This is the knowledge of His Preeminence. vs 33-34
1. Jesus said, "Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin."
2. A saint must not transgress the laws of God. 1 John 3:4
C. This is the forgiveness of His Preeminence. vs 35-36
1. Jesus said, "The Son can make you free from sin." Luke 19:10
2. The Son of God can make us free from our sins. 1 John 1:7-9
D. This is the wisdom of His Preeminence. vs 37-39
1. Jesus said, "If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works
of Abraham." Matt. 3:7-12
2. Member of the church must do the righteous works of Abraham because
they are the promised children of Abraham. Gen. 3:26-29
E. These are the rebukes of His Preeminence. vs 40-47
1. A sinner would be a murder. v 10, 1 John 3:15
2. God is not the father of a sinner. vs 41-43, l John 3:9-10
3. The devil is the father of a sinner. v 44, 1 John 3:8
4. A sinner believes not the truth of God. v 45, John 8:31-32
5. A sinner will not come to God so that he can be saved. vs 46-47,
2 Cor. 5:17-21
V. THE GLORY OF CHRIST: VS 45-59
A. This was the defaming of His glory. v 48
1. They said, "Thy art a Samaritan, and hast a devil."
2. The preaching of Christ does seem foolish to some people. 1 Cor.
B. This was the proof of His glory. v 49
1. Jesus said, "I honor my Father." John 20:17
2. Christians should honor the Lord their God. 1 Cor. 6:19-20
C. This was the blessing of His glory. v 51 (The Lord can give unto
us eternal life.) Romans 2:7, 1 Tim. 6:15-16
D. These were the hatred of His glory. vs 52-53
1. They said, "Now we know that thou hast a devil?" v 52
2. They ask, "Whom makest thou thyself?" v 53
E. These were the exaltations of His glory. vs 54-58
1. Jesus received honor from God. vs 54-55, 2 Peter 1:16-18
2. Jesus in being the Word in heaven was equal with God. vs 56-57,
Phil. 2:5-7 a). Jesus in being the Word in heaven lived before Abraham.
Gen. 18:1- 33
b). Abraham saw His glory. Heb. 13:2
F. This was the rejection of His glory. v 59
1. They tried to stone Him.
2. No person should reject His glory. Heb. 10:29
I. JESUS HEALED THE BLIND MAN: VS 1-12
A. This was the condition of that blind man. v 1
1. This blind man had been blind from his birth. v 1
2. We as Christians could be blind from our spiritual birth. Heb.
B. This was the need of that blind man. vs 2-3
1. The works of God should be manifested in him.
2. The works of God should be manifested in us. Titus 2:11-12
C. This was the hope for that blind man. vs 4-5
1. Jesus was the only hope for that blind man.
2. Christ is the only hope for our sins. 1 Cor. 15:1-4
D. This was his instructions. vs 6-7
1. He was told go wash in the pool of Siloam.
2. We are told to have our bodies washed with pure water. Heb. 10:22,
1 Peter 3:20-21, Acts 22:16, Acts 10: 47, John 3:1-7
E. This was the cure for that blind man. v 7
1. This blind man was cured because he came seeing.
2. We as disciples can see spiritual truth. Rev. 3:18
F. This was his opposition. vs 8-12
1. They asked this man, "How were thine eyes open?"
2. The sinners may think of a righteous person, how were his eyes
opened? 1 Peter 4:3-4
II. THE DEEDS OF THE PHARISEES: VS 13-17
A. The was the prejudice of that counsel. v 13 (The blind man was
brought before the Pharisees.) Romans 10:1-3
B. This was their questions. vs 14-15 (They asked, "How did you receive
your sight?") 2 Tim. 3:5-7
C. This was their accusation. v 16 (The Pharisees said that Jesus
was not of God because He keepeth not the Sabbath day.) Matt. 15:8-9, 13-14
D. This was the conclusion. v 17 (The blind man said that Jesus was
III. THE PROBLEM OF UNBELIEF: VS 18-23
A. This was the cause of their unbelief. v 18
1. They did not believe the miracle which was done to the blind man.
2. Christians must believe the written miracles so that they can have
the proper faith in God. John 20:30-31
B. This was an act of their unbelief. v 19
1. They asked, "How then doeth he now see?"
2. Some people questions the inspiration of the scriptures. 2 Tim.
C. This was the effects of their unbelief. vs 20-23
1. Their unbelief caused some to fear man more than God. vs 20-23
2. Saints must fear God more than man. Matt. 10:28, Acts 17:30-31
IV. THE REJECTION OF CHRIST: VS 24-34
A. These were the charges of that rejection. vs 24-26
1. They said that Jesus is a sinner. v 24
2. They said how could Jesus open the eyes of other men. vs 25-26
B. This was the cause of that rejection. v 27 (They refused to believe.)
C. This was the justification for that rejection. vs 28-29 (They said,
"We are Moses' disciples.")
D. There were the consequences of their rejection. vs 30-34
1. They became unreasonable. vs 30-33
2. They became arrogant. v 34
V. THE ACCEPTANCE OF CHRIST: VS 35-41
A. This was the challenge for that acceptance. v 35
1. Jesus asked the healed man, "Dost thou believe on the Son of God?"
2. A Christian must believe on the Son of God. Acts 8:37
B. This was the evidence for that acceptance. vs 36-37
1. The healed man asked Jesus, "Who is the Son of God that I might
believe on Him." Jesus said to the healed man, "It is he that talketh with
2. A disciple has the evidence to believe that Jesus was the Son of
God in the sense of being the Incarnated Word upon the earth. John 1:1-3,
14, Matt. 1:18-24, John 3:16, Luke 19:10
C. This was the proof of that acceptance. v 38
1. The healed man worshipped God.
2. A saint must worship God in spirit and in truth. John 4:24
D. These are the reasons for that acceptance. vs 39-41
1. A Christian can have the freedom from his past sins. Heb. 8:13
2. A disciple can have the forgiveness of his daily sins. 1 John 1:7-9
3. A saint can be saved eternally from his sins. Rev. 3:12
I. THE SHEEPFOLD: VS 1-6
A. These were the purposes of that sheepfold: The New Testament church.
1. True Christianity is offered to the lost people of this world.
2. God does not want any person to be lost. 2 Peter 3:9
B. This was the door of that sheepfold. v 2
1. Christ is the head of the church. Eph. 1:22-23
2. Christians must surrender to the rule of Christ. Acts 4:12
C. These are the sheep of that sheepfold. v 3
1. Disciple are added to the church. Acts 2:47
2. Christians will be taken to heaven because the church will be presented
unto God in heaven. 1 Cor. 15:24-28
D. These are the blessings of that sheepfold. vs 3-5
1. Christ is the good shepherd of His sheep. Psa. 23:1-6
2. Christ will led us to heaven. John 14:1-3
E. This was the hindrance of that sheepfold v 6
1. They did not have the knowledge to understand.
2. Disciple must have the knowledge to understand the truth. Col.
II. CHRIST AND HIS PEOPLE: VS 7-18
A. This is the value of that relationship. vs 7-8
1. Christ is the true shepherd of His people.
2. Christians must follow the examples of Christ. 1 Peter 2:21
B. These are the blessings of that relationship. vs 9-10
1. Christ came to give us salvation. v 9, Luke 19:10
2. Christ came to give us eternal life. v 10, 2 Tim. 1:10
C. This is the bond of that relationship. vs 11-15
1. Christ purchased the church with His own blood. Acts 20:28, Eph.
2. Disciples must love the church and put it first in their lives.
D. These were the conditions for that relationship. v 16
1. A Christian must hear the laws of Christ. John 12:48, Col. 3:16-17
2. A saint must obey the laws of Christ. Heb. 5:8-9
E. This is the authority for that relationship. vs 17-18
1. This authority exists by the will of God.
2. A disciple must do the will of God so that he can go to heaven.
Matt. 7:21- 23
III. THE OPPOSITION AGAINST CHRIST: VS 19-21
A. This was the cause of that opposition. v 19 (There was a division
among the people.) 1 Cor. 1:10-13
B. These were the charges of that opposition. v 20 (He has a devil.
He is mad. Why hear ye him?)
C. These were the rebukes for that opposition. v 21 (Jesus has Divine
authority. "Can a devil open the eyes of the blind?")
IV. CHRIST REVEALS HIS DIVINITY: VS 22-30
A. This was the reason for that revelation. vs 22-24
1. They asked, "If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly?"
2. A Christian must believe in the Deity of Christ. 1 Tim. 3:15, 2
B. This was the proof of that revelation. v 25
1. Jesus said, "My works prove my Deity."
2. A disciple must believe the mighty works of Christ so that he can
believe in His Divinity. John 20:30-31
C. This was the hindrance of that revelation. vs 26-27
1. They refuses the believe in His revelation.
2. A saint must not refuse to believe in His revelation. Heb. 1:1-3
D. These are the blessings of that revelation. vs 28-29
1. A Christian can have eternal life as a gift. v 28, Romans 6:23
2. A disciple does have excess to the providence of God. v 29, Romans
8:28, Phil. 2:13
E. These were the affirmations of that revelation. v 30
1. Jesus said, I am Divine because "I and my Father are one" (equal).
2. Jesus in being the Word in heaven and the Father were one (equal)
because They possess the same Personage, Nature, Powers and Attributes
of life. 1 John 5:7, Deut. 6:4, Gen. 1:26-27
V. THE REJECTION OF CHRIST: VS 31-42
A. This was the rage of that rejection. v 31 (The Jews wanted to stone
B. This was the challenge of that rejection. v 32 (Jesus asked, "Why
do you seek to stone me"?)
C. This was the justification for that rejection. v 33 (The Jews said
you are blaspheming because you (Jesus) are making yourself to be God.)
D. These were the rebukes for that rejection. vs 34-36
1. Jesus said mortal man is called a god (Deity) vs 34-35 a). Man
is divine because he is made in the image and after the likeness of God.
b). Man is divine because he can become a partaker of the Divine Nature
of God. 2 Peter 1:4, Rev. 3:12
2. Jesus said I am Divine because "I am the Son of God". V 36, Phil.
E. These would be the cures for that rejection. vs 37-38
1. A disciple must believe the works of Jesus. 1 John 3:8
2. A Christian need to know the Personage, Nature, Powers and Attributes
of Jesus. 2 Tim. 1:13
F. These were the consequences of that rejection. vs 39-41
1. Jesus departed from those persons who disbelieved. vs 39-40, Rev.
2. Jesus came to those persons who believed. vs 41-42, Matt. 28:20
I. THE SICKNESS OF LAZARUS: VS 1-6
A. This was his need for the Lord. v 1-2
1. Lazarus was sick.
2. Man needs the Lord because he have a spiritual sickness which is
called sin. Romans 7:23-24, Romans 6:21
B. This was his friendship with the Lord.
1. Lazarus was loved by the Lord.
2. Each person is loved by the Lord. Romans 5:6-8
C. This was the purpose of his sickness. vs 4-6
1. The sickness of Lazarus was not unto death.
2. Our spiritual sickness should not be unto spiritual death because
we can be made free from our sins. Heb. 8:12, Romans 6:3-6
II. THE SLEEP OF DEATH: VS 7-16
A. This was the awareness of death. vs 7-10
1. The Jews were seeking the death of Jesus. vs 7-10
2. Jesus teaches the necessity of physical death by using the parabolic
expression of day and night.
B. This was the description of death. v 11 (Jesus said, "Our friend
C. This was the misunderstanding of death. vs 12-14
1. Death is not an eternal sleep. vs 12-13
2. Death is a temporary sleep. v 14, 1 Cor. 15:50-58
D. This should be the blessing of death. vs 15-16 (The resurrection
from the dead should increase our faith in God.) 2 Tim. 1:10
III. THE PROBLEM OF DEATH: VS 17-28
A. This was the power of death. v 17 (Death holds her prey.) 1 Cor.
B. This was the sadness of death. vs 18-19 (Many of the Jews came
to comfort Martha and Mary.) 1 Thess. 4:13-18
C. This was the hope of death. vs 20-23 (Jesus is our hope over death.)
D. The was the power over death. vs 24-27 (Jesus has the power over
death.) Rev. 1:18
IV. THE RESURRECTION OF LAZARUS: VS 28-46
A. This was the reason for his resurrection. vs 28-31 ("The Master
is come.") 1 Tim. 1:10
B. This was the hope of his resurrection. vs 32-35 ("Jesus wept.")
C. These were the commands for his resurrection. vs 36-45
1. Jesus said, "Take ye away the stone." v 39
2. Jesus said, "Lazarus come forth." v 43
3. Jesus said, "Loose him, and let him go". v 44
D. These were the consequences of his resurrection. vs 45-46
1. Some people believed. v 45
2. Some people disbelieved. v 46
V. THE CONSPIRACY AGAINST JESUS: VS 47-57
A. This was the reason for that conspiracy. vs 47-48 (They said, "If
we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him.")
B. These were the plans of that conspiracy. vs 49-53
1. There was a prophecy of His death. vs 49-52
2. There was a plot for His death. v 53
C. These are the results for that conspiracy. vs 54-57
1. They looked for Jesus. vs 54-56
2. They wanted to arrest Jesus. v 57
Copyright 2000 by Charles Burke. You May Copy And Use Any Of The Above
Articles Any Way That You Wish.