DOES THE HOLY SPIRIT DWELL WITHIN US?
The question at hand is one that has caused much division
in the body of the Lord. The answer to this question is an obvious
yes. Yet the question underlying this question is how and that is
what we will be looking at today. If one holds that the Holy Spirit
dwells literally within us we must then also see that the Father, and Son
do as well. This I will prove with BCV.
KJV 1 John 5:7
7. For there are three that bear record
in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are
THE TRINITY DWELLS WITHIN CHRISTIANS
THE HOLY SPIRIT
KJV 1 Corinthians 3:16
16. Know ye not that ye are the temple of God,
and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
KJV 1 John 4:15
15. Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the
Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
KJV Colossians 1:27
27. To whom God would make known what
is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is
Christ in you, the hope of glory:
CHRIST AND THE SPIRIT
KJV Romans 8:9-11
9. But ye are not in the flesh, but in
the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man
have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10. And if Christ be in you, the body
is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11. But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus
from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall
also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
WE ARE TOLD TO BE FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT
KJV Ephesians 5:18
18. And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess;
but be filled with the Spirit;
HOW – THROUGH THE WORD
THE WORD IS TRUTH
KJV John 17:17
17. Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word
THE WORD SHOULD DWELL WITHIN US
KJV Colossians 3:16
16. Let the word of Christ dwell in you
richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and
hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
CHRIST DWELLS BY FAITH
KJV Ephesians 3:17
17. That Christ may dwell in your hearts
by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
FAITH COMES BY HEARING THE WORD
KJV Romans 10:17
17. So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by
the word of God.
WE HAVE THE FATHER AND THE SON ABIDING IN US IF WE
KEEP THE WORD
KJV John 14:23
23. Jesus answered and said unto him,
If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and
we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
WE ABIDE IN THE WORD AS DOES CHRIST IN US – THROUGH
THE WORD (TRUTH) WE ARE IN HIS BODY (I COR 12:12-13) IS THIS LITERAL?
KJV John 15:4-7
4. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch
cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye,
except ye abide in me.
5. I am the vine, ye are the branches:
He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit:
for without me ye can do nothing.
6. If a man abide not in me, he is cast
forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them
into the fire, and they are burned.
7. If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye
shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
THE HOLY SPIRIT IS THE REVEALER OF THE WORD
THE HOLY SPIRIT WAS A GUIDE
KJV John 16:13-15
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is
come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself;
but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you
things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive
of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
15 All things that the Father hath are mine:
therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
THE WORD IS INSPIRED
KJV 2 Timothy 3:16-17
16. All scripture is given by inspiration of
God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction
17. That the man of God may be perfect,
throughly furnished unto all good works.
THE SPIRIT GAVE THEM THE WORD
KJV 2 Peter 1:21
21. For the prophecy came not in old time
by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the
THE SPIRIT TEACHES US ALL THINGS
KJV 1 Corinthians 2:9-13
9. But as it is written, Eye hath not seen,
nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which
God hath prepared for them that love him.
10. But God hath revealed them unto us
by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things
11. For what man knoweth the things of
a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God
knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12. Now we have received, not the spirit
of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things
that are freely given to us of God.
13. Which things also we speak, not in
the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth;
comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
WE HAVE ALL BY DIVINE POWER
KJV 2 Peter 1:3
3. According as his divine power hath
given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through
the knowledge of him that has called us to glory and virtue.
THEY SPOKE BY THE SPIRIT
KJV Matthew 10:19-20
19. But when they deliver you up, take
no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that
same hour what ye shall speak.
20. For it is not ye that speak, but the
Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.
THE HOLY SPIRIT GAVE TRUTH
KJV Romans 9:1
1. I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience
also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost,
SOME POINTS TO PONDER
1) If the trinity dwells within us then why do we pray
to our Father in Heaven?
KJV Matthew 6:9
8. After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father
which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
2) If the trinity dwells within us then why would Christ
be coming from Heaven in the final day?
KJV Acts 3:20-21
20. And he shall send Jesus Christ, which
before was preached unto you:
21. Whom the heaven must receive until
the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth
of all his holy prophets since the world began.
KJV 1 Thessalonians 4:16
16. For the Lord himself shall descend
from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the
trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
3) If the trinity dwells within us then we are God
which Peter denied?
KJV Acts 10:26
26. But Peter took him up, saying, Stand up; I myself
also am a man.
4) My wife says to me often that she sees me in Trevor.
Does this mean that I dwell within him? Or does this mean he takes
characteristics that he has learned from me and he shows those in his actions.
We are made in the image of God, and we can learn how to act accordingly.
If we continue in his doctrine he will abide in us through the word that
we have through inspiration with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE THE WORD IN YOUR LIFE?
WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE GOD DWELL IN YOUR LIFE?
HAVE YOU EVER BEEN OBEDIENT TO THE GOSPEL PLAN OF SALVATION.
GOD TELLS US TO:
HEAR THE TRUTH (Rom 10:17)
BELIEVE THE TRUTH (Mark 16:15-16)
REPENT OF OUR SINS (Acts 2:38)
CONFESS HIS SON (Matthew 10:32-33)
AND BE OBEDIENT THROUGH BAPTISM FOR THE REMISSION
OF SINS TO BE ADDED TO THE CHURCH OF OUR LORD IN WHICH IS THE ONLY CHURCH
IN WHICH SALVATION CAN BE OBTAINED! (Acts 8:12, I Cor 12:12-13, and I Peter
Copyright 2000 by Brian
Yeager may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.