SERMON ON THE MOUNT (PART 5)
KJV Matthew 5:19
19. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these
least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least
in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same
shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
I. We cannot break ANY of the commandments
If we break any we are guilty of all
KJV James 2:10
10. For whosoever shall keep the whole law,
and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
There are the two greatest
KJV Matthew 22:36-40
36. Master, which is the great commandment in the
37. Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love
the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all
38. This is the first and great commandment.
39. And the second is like unto it, Thou
shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40. On these two commandments hang all the law and the
Mark’s account of the two greatest
KJV Mark 12:28-31
28. And one of the scribes came, and having
heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them
well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?
29. And Jesus answered him, The first of
all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
30. And thou shalt love the Lord thy God
with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with
all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
31. And the second is like, namely this,
Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment
greater than these.
If we reject ANY of his words we will be judged
KJV John 12:48-50
48. He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not
my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same
shall judge him in the last day.
49. For I have not spoken of myself; but
the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say,
and what I should speak.
50. And I know that his commandment is life
everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto
me, so I speak.
He gave a NEW commandment
KJV John 13:34-35
34. A new commandment I give unto you, That
ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35. By this shall all men know that ye are
my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
He said if you love me then KEEP
KJV John 14:15
15. If ye love me, keep my commandments.
Not everyone that saith Lord, Lord
KJV Matthew 7:21
20. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall
enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father
which is in heaven.
We should do without leaving ANY undone
KJV Matthew 23:23
23. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees,
hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted
the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought
ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
The command to keep the Sabbath day Holy is no longer
in effect (Acts 20:27) – Yet no mention of the others being done away!
Exodus 20:1-17 for the “Ten Commandments”
The Old law is gone
KJV Matthew 26:28
28. For this is my blood of the new testament, which
is shed for many for the remission of sins.
See Also: Romans 15:4, Ephesians 2:13-15, Romans 7:1-6,
and Colossians 2:14.
II. “and shall teach men so” false teachers -
Mark them so that they cannot deceive the simple
KJV Romans 16:17-18
17. Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which
cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned;
and avoid them.
18. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ,
but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts
of the simple.
The time in which they will turn and be teachers
KJV 2 Timothy 4:1-5
1. I charge thee therefore before God, and
the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing
and his kingdom;
2. Preach the word; be instant in season,
out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
3. For the time will come when they will
not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to
themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4. And they shall turn away their ears from
the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
5. But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions,
do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
Some will depart from the faith and speak lies
KJV 1 Timothy 4:1-2
1. Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that
in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing
spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2. Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience
seared with a hot iron;
They will do so in sheep’s clothing
KJV Matthew 7:15-16
15. Beware of false prophets, which come to you
in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do
men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
There will be false teachers among us
KJV 2 Peter 2:1
1. But there were false prophets also among the people,
even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring
in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring
upon themselves swift destruction.
III. Do and teach the commandments
There are those that falsely teach and worship
KJV Matthew 15:9
9. But in vain they do worship me, teaching
for doctrines the commandments of men.
Christ, as Luke stated, did and taught
KJV Acts 1:1
1. The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of
all that Jesus began both to do and teach,
We should follow the example of Christ
KJV 1 Peter 2:21
21. For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ
also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his
He said follow his example
KJV John 13:15
15. For I have given you an example, that ye should do
as I have done to you.
As Timothy was urged, we too should always be an example
to others in all we do!
KJV 1 Timothy 4:12
12. Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example
of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith,
Copyright 2001 by Brian
Yeager may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.