In chapters 1 and two we learned of the great location of the city of Thessalonica. We learned of their beginnings in Acts 17. We learned that Paul, Timothy and Silas appreciated their work. We learned that they accepted the word of God. Now we are going to start looking at what Timothy reported based on his visit while Paul was in Athens and we are going to see the gratitude that Paul had for the faith in love in Christ. We will find in chapter 4 a teaching on Christian living, brotherly love, and a correction on the resurrection and Second Coming of Christ. Paul realized this a point of their ignorance (I Thessalonians 4:13).
I. Checking up on our brethren
Is it important to follow-up on brethren we help and assist find
John obviously thought it was great to hear of faithful brethren.
KJV 3 John 1:3-4
II. The Text
1. Wherefore when we could no longer forbear, we thought it good to be left at Athens alone;
2. And sent Timotheus, our brother, and minister of God, and our fellowlabourer in the gospel of Christ, to establish you, and to comfort you concerning your faith:
3. That no man should be moved by these afflictions: for yourselves know that we are appointed thereunto.
4. For verily, when we were with you, we told you before that we should suffer tribulation; even as it came to pass, and ye know.
5. For this cause, when I could no longer forbear, I sent to know your faith, lest by some means the tempter have tempted you, and our labour be in vain.
6. But now when Timotheus came from you unto us, and brought us good tidings of your faith and charity, and that ye have good remembrance of us always, desiring greatly to see us, as we also to see you:
KJV Romans 5:1
This was Paulís active style, to preach it so they would stand in it!
KJV 1 Corinthians 15:1-8
1. Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the
gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein
8.For now we live, if ye stand fast in the Lord.
KJV 2 Timothy 3:12
10. Night and day praying exceedingly that we might see your face, and might perfect that which is lacking in your faith?
11. Now God himself and our Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, direct our way unto you.
KJV 1 John 5:7
KJV 2 John 1:9
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
19. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
10. As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.
KJV Matthew 5:44-48
44. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45. That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
46. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
47. And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
48. Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
KJV 1 Thessalonians 4:1-18
1. Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the
Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to
please God, so ye would abound more and more.
KJV Romans 1:21-32
7. For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.
8. He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit.
9. But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.
10. And indeed ye do it toward all the brethren which are in all Macedonia: but we beseech you, brethren, that ye increase more and more;
11. And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;
12. That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing.
Let brotherly love continue.
14. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
15. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
16. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17. Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
--(A Removal of ignorance concerning the Second Coming of the Lord)
Copyright 2000 by Brian
Yeager may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.