MISCONCEPTIONS CONCERNING REPENTANCE
Repentance is not sorrow!!!!!
KJV 2 Corinthians 7:9-10
9. Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.
10. For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
Fear does not cause repentance!!!
KJV James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
THE DOCTRINE OF REPENTANCE
Repentance defined: A change of heart, which leads to a change of life.
1. Repentance taught be Jesus -
KJV Matthew 4:17
17. From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
KJV Luke 13:3
KJV Acts 2:38
38. Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
KJV Acts 8:22
KJV Romans 2:4
KJV Revelation 2:4-5
4. Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
KJV Acts 17:30-31
30. And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
31. Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.
KJV 2 Peter 3:9-10
9. The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
KJV Revelation 3:1-5
1. And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.
2. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.
3. Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.
4. Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.
5. He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
KJV Revelation 3:14-20
14. And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; these things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
15. I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
17. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
18. I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
19. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
The Bible has a lot to say about repentance and the fact is, that you cannot be saved without repenting. There are, however, other things must do of the have not obeyed the Gospel plan of salvation.
Believe – John 8:24 Believe or die in your sins
Be Baptized - Acts 22:16
Then if you are a child of God and you need to become cleansed again,
do so today as Simon did and we will pray for you – Acts
Copyright 1999 by Brian
Yeager may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.