|STUMBLING BLOCKS ON THE WAY TO THE BAPTISTRY
Many times you can watch people come and go and never
respond to the Gospel invitation to become a Christian. Today we
are going to examine some stumbling blocks on the way to the water.
I – BAPTISM IS COMMANDED
CHRIST SAID “MUST BE BORN OF WATER”
KJV John 3:3-5
3. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily,
verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the
kingdom of God.
4. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a
man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's
womb, and be born?
5. Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say
unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter
into the kingdom of God.
CHRIST SAID TO BELIEVE THEN BE BAPTIZED
KJV Mark 16:15-16
15. And he said unto them, Go ye into
all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16. He that believeth and is baptized
shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
THE GREAT COMISSION TEACH AND BAPTIZE
KJV Matthew 28:18-19
18. And Jesus came and spake unto them,
saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy
SINS ARE REMITTED THROUGH BAPTISM
KJV Acts 2:38
38. Then Peter said unto them, Repent,
and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission
of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
BAPTISM IS INTO CHRIST
KJV Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ
have put on Christ.
KJV 1 Peter 3:21
21. The like figure whereunto even baptism
doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh,
but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of
II – PEOPLE TARRY BEFORE BAPTISM
PAUL ASKED WHY THEY TARRIED – THEN TOLD THEM TO ARISE
KJV Acts 22:16
16. And now why tarriest thou? arise,
and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.
III - THEY HOLD BACK BECAUSE…..
THEY BELIEVE BUT THEY DO NOT WANT TO OBEY – ALMOST
KJV Acts 26:12-29
12. Whereupon as I went to Damascus with
authority and commission from the chief priests,
13. At midday, O king, I saw in the way
a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about
me and them which journeyed with me.
14. And when we were all fallen to the
earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue,
Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against
15. And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And
he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.
16. But rise, and stand upon thy feet:
for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister
and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things
in the which I will appear unto thee;
17. Delivering thee from the people, and
from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,
18. To open their eyes, and to turn them
from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they
may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified
by faith that is in me.
19. Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not
disobedient unto the heavenly vision:
20. But shewed first unto them of Damascus,
and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to
the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet
21. For these causes the Jews caught me
in the temple, and went about to kill me.
22. Having therefore obtained help of
God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying
none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should
23. That Christ should suffer, and that
he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew
light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.
24. And as he thus spake for himself,
Festus said with a loud voice, Paul, thou art beside thyself; much learning
doth make thee mad.
25. But he said, I am not mad, most noble
Festus; but speak forth the words of truth and soberness.
26. For the king knoweth of these things,
before whom also I speak freely: for I am persuaded that none of these
things are hidden from him; for this thing was not done in a corner.
27. King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets?
I know that thou believest.
28. Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost
thou persuadest me to be a Christian.
29. And Paul said, I would to God, that not only thou,
but also all that hear me this day, were both almost, and altogether such
as I am, except these bonds.
THE FEAR OF GIVING ALL
KJV Matthew 16:24-26
24. Then said Jesus unto his disciples,
If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross,
and follow me.
25. For whosoever will save his life shall
lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
26. For what is a man profited, if he
shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man
give in exchange for his soul?
THE FEAR OF MARRIAGE TO CHRIST
KJV Romans 7:4
4. Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead
to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another,
even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit
MAYBE THOSE SHOULD RECOGNIZE THAT HE GAVE FIRST
KJV Romans 5:6-9
6. For when we were yet without strength,
in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
7. For scarcely for a righteous man will
one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.
8. But God commendeth his love toward
us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
9. Much more then, being now justified
by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
IV - WE ALL NEED A SAVIOR
KJV Romans 6:20-23
20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye
were free from righteousness.
21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof
ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
22 But now being made free from sin, and become
servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting
23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift
of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
ACCEPT THE SALVATION THAT IS IN CHRIST AND HIS CHURCH
TODAY. BECOME A SAVED INDIVIDUAL AND A MEMBER OF THE LORD’S CHURCH
– THE CHURCH OF CHRIST
ROMANS 10:17, JOHN 8:32, ACTS 2:38, ROMANS 10:9-10
AND ROMANS 6:1-6!
Copyright 2000 by Brian
Yeager may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.