Worship – an act of reverence, whether paid to a creature or creator. (Thayer’s)
Greek word (latreuo)
Service – to render religious service, to worship (Thayer’s)
Greek word (proskuneo)
The Bible states a difference between the two words.
KJV Deuteronomy 4:19
19. And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, shouldest be driven to worship them, and serve them, which the Lord thy God hath divided unto all nations under the whole heaven.
KJV Deuteronomy 8:19
19. And it shall be, if thou do at all forget the Lord thy God, and walk after other gods, and serve them, and worship them, I testify against you this day that ye shall surely perish.
KJV Deuteronomy 17:3
3. And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded;
KJV 1 Kings 9:6
6. But if ye shall at all turn from following me, ye or your children, and will not keep my commandments and my statutes which I have set before you, but go and serve other gods, and worship them:
KJV Jeremiah 25:6
And go not after other gods to serve them, and to worship them, and provoke me not to anger with the works of your hands; and I will do you no hurt.
KJV Matthew 4:10
Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
KJV Romans 12:1 (NIV TRANSLATES latreuo as WORSHIP)
1. I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
(Here we are told to give all of ourselves) The same as in the following two verses:
KJV Romans 6:13
13. Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
KJV Romans 6:19
19. I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
FASTING and ALMSGIVING
These are services to God, yet are they worship?
KJV Colossians 3:17
17. And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
God shall receive all glory.
KJV 1 Thessalonians 5:17
Pray without ceasing.
Am I to think that I am to pray 24-7?
Pray without stopping from doing so!
Why this argument? The denominational world loves this because members of the Church play instruments at home therefore it is the same as in the services to God.
Members of the Church love it because they think they have found something
that others have overlooked since the 1st Century.
Copyright 1999 by Brian
Yeager may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.