The Parable of “The Unprofitable Servant”
KJV Luke 17:7-10
7. But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding
cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go
and sit down to meat?
8. And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith
I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken;
and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?
9. Doth he thank that servant because he did the things
that were commanded him? I trow not.
10. So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which
are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that
which was our duty to do.
We often want the good old “pat on the back” when we do things for the
Lord. We fail to realize is that when we have done what we are supposed
to do we have done nothing extraordinary.
I. The we have done enough attitude
I Come Sunday Morning what more is expected?
KJV Hebrews 10:22-25
22. Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance
of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our
bodies washed with pure water.
23. Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without
wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)
24. And let us consider one another to provoke unto love
and to good works:
25. Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together,
as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more,
as ye see the day approaching.
The God is second in my life attitude
KJV Matthew 6:33-34
33. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness;
and all these things shall be added unto you.
34. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow
shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is
the evil thereof.
Is it enough to talk the talk?
KJV Matthew 6:1-7
1. Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen
of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
2. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a
trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the
streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have
3. But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know
what thy right hand doeth:
4. That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which
seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
5. And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites
are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners
of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They
have their reward.
6. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet,
and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret;
and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
7. But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for
they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
We must go the second mile!
KJV Matthew 5:41
41. And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
II. The I will rest now attitude
The Rich Man had that thought
KJV Luke 12:16-20
16. And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground
of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:
17. And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I
do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?
18. And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns,
and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.
19. And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods
laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
20. But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be
required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?
There is rest in Christ after we work (of which the work is not difficult)
KJV Matthew 11:28-30
28. Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and
I will give you rest.
29. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek
and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Those troubled rest (WHEN) the Lord comes
KJV 2 Thessalonians 1:4-9
4. So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for
your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that
5. Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment
of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which
ye also suffer:
6. Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense
tribulation to them that trouble you;
7. And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord
Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
8. In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not
God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
8. Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence
of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;
III. Do not be a quitter
We need to quit being like men and be strong
KJV 1 Corinthians 16:13
13. Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong.
Christ did not quit
KJV Luke 23:32-47
32. And there were also two other, malefactors, led with him
to be put to death.
33. And when they were come to the place, which is called
Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right
hand, and the other on the left.
34. Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know
not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.
35. And the people stood beholding. And the rulers also
with them derided him, saying, He saved others; let him save himself, if
he be Christ, the chosen of God.
36. And the soldiers also mocked him, coming to him, and
offering him vinegar,
37. And saying, If thou be the king of the Jews, save thyself.
38. And a superscription also was written over him in letters
of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.
39. And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed
on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
40. But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not
thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
41. And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward
of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
42. And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou
comest into thy kingdom.
43. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To
day shalt thou be with me in paradise.
44. And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness
over all the earth until the ninth hour.
45. And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple
was rent in the midst.
46. And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said,
Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave
up the ghost.
47. Now when the centurion saw what was done, he glorified
God, saying, Certainly this was a righteous man.
KJV 1 Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast,
unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know
that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.
Copyright 2001 by Brian
Yeager may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.