THE PARABLE OF THE TWO DEBTORS
KJV Luke 7:41-43
41. There was a certain creditor which had two debtors:
the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.
42. And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave
them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?
43. Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom
he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.
The reason for the parable
KJV Luke 7:36-40
36. And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would
eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee's house, and sat down to meat.
37. And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner,
when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an
alabaster box of ointment,
38. And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began
to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head,
and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.
39. Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it,
he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would
have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for
she is a sinner.
40. And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat
to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on.
After the parable, concluding this situation
KJV Luke 7:44-50
44. And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest
thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for
my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the
hairs of her head.
45. Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time
I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.
46. My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman
hath anointed my feet with ointment.
47. Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many,
are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same
48. And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.
49. And they that sat at meat with him began to say within
themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also?
50. And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee;
go in peace.
I. She is a sinner v. 39
Servants of sin can be forgiven by Christ
KJV John 8:34-36
34. Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever
committeth sin is the servant of sin.
35. And the servant abideth not in the house for ever:
but the Son abideth ever.
36. If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall
be free indeed.
Sin brings death, but Christ brings life
KJV Romans 6:23
23. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God
is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Sin is breaking the law
KJV 1 John 3:4
4. Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law:
for sin is the transgression of the law.
ALL have sinned
KJV Romans 3:23
23. For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Christ came to save the lost
KJV Luke 19:10
10. For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
He died for the remission of sins
KJV Matthew 26:28
28. For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many
for the remission of sins.
The gift of remission is in Christ
KJV Romans 3:24-25
24. Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption
that is in Christ Jesus:
25. Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his
blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are
past, through the forbearance of God;
Contacted through baptism
KJV Acts 2:38
38. Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of
you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall
receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
II. Those whom had the greatest debt removed…
Paul a persecutor of Christians (Acts 8:1-3), Is approached by
KJV Acts 9:1-6
1. And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter
against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest,
2. And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues,
that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might
bring them bound unto Jerusalem.
3. And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly
there shined round about him a light from heaven:
4. And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto
him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
5. And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said,
I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the
6. And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt
thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the
city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.
Follows the command of the Lord and is converted, then began working
KJV Acts 9:17-22
17. And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house;
and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus,
that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou
mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.
18. And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had
been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.
19. And when he had received meat, he was strengthened.
Then was Saul certain days with the disciples which were at Damascus.
20. And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues,
that he is the Son of God.
21. But all that heard him were amazed, and said; Is not
this he that destroyed them which called on this name in Jerusalem, and
came hither for that intent, that he might bring them bound unto the chief
22. But Saul increased the more in strength, and confounded
the Jews which dwelt at Damascus, proving that this is very Christ.
Paul considered himself a great debtor
KJV 1 Timothy 1:15
15. This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation,
that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
He considered himself the least of the saved
KJV Ephesians 3:7-9
7. Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift
of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.
8. Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is
this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable
riches of Christ;
9. And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the
mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who
created all things by Jesus Christ:
III. The reward for the debtor turned right
Paul, although was a great sinner, know sought the reward
KJV 2 Timothy 4:6-8
6. For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure
is at hand.
7. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith:
8. Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness,
which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not
to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
The faithful will receive the same reward
KJV Revelation 2:10
10. Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer:
behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried;
and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and
I will give thee a crown of life.
Have you prepared yourself for the reward? Do you want your debts
Acts 22:16 “And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash
away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.”
Copyright 2001 by Brian
Yeager may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.