THE PHARISEE AND THE PUBLICAN
KJV Luke 18:9-14
9. And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted
in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
10. Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a
Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God,
I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers,
or even as this publican.
12. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that
13. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift
up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying,
God be merciful to me a sinner.
14. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than
the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he
that humbleth himself shall be exalted.
THE LESSON APPLIED IS TO REMOVE PRIDE, AND EGO FROM SERVICE TO GOD!
The Jewish people were divided into basically, two major groups, Pharisee’s
and Sadducees. The first was the Pharisee. The Pharisee’s were
the elite class or sect. They were noted as having a conservative
attitude towards the law and spiritual matters. The Pharisee’s often
tried to put Christ in difficult position’s with compound questions.
The Lord responded to these men in this manner-
THE PHARISEES WERE CALLED HYPOCRITES BY CHRIST
KJV Matthew 23:15
15. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass
sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold
more the child of hell than yourselves.
THE PHARISEES DO WORKS TO BE SEEN OF MEN FOR GLORY TO THEMSELVES
KJV Matthew 23:1-5
1. Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
2. Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses'
3. All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that
observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
4. For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne,
and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them
with one of their fingers.
5. But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they
make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,
SUCH BOASTFULNESS AND PRIDE OF THE PHARISEE WILL NOT ENTER HEAVEN –
WE MUST EXEED THAT UNRIGHTEOUSNESS
KJV Matthew 5:20
20. For I say unto you, That except your righteousness
shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in
no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
DO NOT DO THINGS BEFORE MEN FOR PUBLIC PRAISE
KJV Matthew 6:1-7
1. Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be
seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
2. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a
trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the
streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have
3. But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know
what thy right hand doeth:
4. That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which
seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
5. And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites
are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners
of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They
have their reward.
6. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet,
and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret;
and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
7. But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen
do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
KJV Matthew 6:16-18
16. Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of
a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear
unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
17. But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and
wash thy face;
18. That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which
is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee
THE LORD HATES PRIDE
KJV Proverbs 6:16-19
16. These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination
17. A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent
18. An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that
be swift in running to mischief,
19. A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth
discord among brethren.
PRIDE LEADS TO DEATH
KJV Proverbs 16:18
18. Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit
before a fall.
DO NOT LOVE THE PRIDE OF LIFE THIS WORLD OFFERS
KJV 1 John 2:15-16
15. Love not the world, neither the things that are in
the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in
16. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust
of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the
A Publican was a tax collector for the Roman Government.
THE EXAMPLE OF THE PUBLICAN GIVES US A SOBERNESS AND HUMBLENESS THAT
WE OUGHT TO HAVE WHEN GOING TO GOD IN PRAYER!
WE SHOULD EXAMINE OURSELVES
KJV 2 Corinthians 13:5
5. Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves.
Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye
WE NEED TO BE HUMBLE BEFORE THE LORD
KJV James 4:10
0. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift
KJV 1 Peter 5:6-8
6. Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God,
that he may exalt you in due time:
7. Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
8. Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil,
as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
BE HUMBLE AS A CHILD WOULD BE
KJV Matthew 18:4
4. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little
child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
BE KIND, MEEK AND HUMBLE
KJV Colossians 3:12
12. Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved,
bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
TURN AWAY FROM PRIDE AND SELF LOVE
KJV 2 Timothy 3:2-5
2. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters,
proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3. Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers,
incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4. Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more
than lovers of God;
5. Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof:
from such turn away.
THE PROUD WILL BE JUDGED JUST AS A MURDER, FORNICATOR, ETC.
KJV Romans 1:28-32
28. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge,
God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not
29. Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication,
wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate,
deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30. Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters,
inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31. Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural
affection, implacable, unmerciful:
32. Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit
such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure
in them that do them.
BE AS THE PUBLICAN AND EXAMINE YOURSELF AND BE HUMBLE!
Copyright 2001 by Brian
Yeager may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.