THE LOST SHEEP
KJV Luke 15:1-7
1. Then drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners
for to hear him.
2. And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This
man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them.
3. And he spake this parable unto them, saying,
4. What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose
one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and
go after that which is lost, until he find it?
5. And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders,
6. And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends
and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my
sheep which was lost.
7. I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner
that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need
I. Having many but going after the one
Christ is the good shepherd
KJV John 10:3-11
3. To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice:
and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
4. And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before
them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
5. And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from
him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
6. This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood
not what things they were which he spake unto them.
7. Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say
unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
8. All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers:
but the sheep did not hear them.
9. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be
saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
10. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill,
and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might
have it more abundantly.
11. I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the
He was born to save
KJV Matthew 1:21
21. And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call
his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
Save the lost
KJV Matthew 18:11
11. For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.
Recognizing that they few will be saved – therefore every one is important
KJV Luke 13:22-24
22. And he went through the cities and villages, teaching,
and journeying toward Jerusalem.
23. Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be
saved? And he said unto them,
24. Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you,
will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.
Knowing that the workers are few and are among wolves
KJV Luke 10:2-3
2. Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great,
but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that
he would send forth labourers into his harvest.
3. Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves.
II. Rejoicing over those who come home (erring Christians coming)
Paul rejoiced in the fact that repentance was made
KJV 2 Corinthians 7:9-10
9. Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that
ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner,
that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.
10. For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented
of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
Christ came to call sinners to repent
KJV Luke 5:30-32
30. But their scribes and Pharisees murmured against his
disciples, saying, Why do ye eat and drink with publicans and sinners?
31. And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole
need not a physician; but they that are sick.
32. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
III. Erring Christians MUST repent
Repent of perish
KJV Luke 13:3
3. I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
Repentance should be preached
KJV Luke 24:46-47
46. And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it
behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
47. And that repentance and remission of sins should be
preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
Repentance is prior to conversion
KJV Acts 3:19
19. Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins
may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence
of the Lord.
Simon, a new convert, needed to repent when he sinned
KJV Acts 8:18-24
18. And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles'
hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
19. Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever
I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.
20. But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee,
because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
21. Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for
thy heart is not right in the sight of God.
22. Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God,
if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
23. For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness,
and in the bond of iniquity.
24. Then answered Simon, and said, Pray ye to the Lord
for me, that none of these things which ye have spoken come upon me.
God commands repentance
KJV Acts 17:30
30. And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but
now commandeth all men every where to repent:
IF the saved confess their sins they will be forgiven
KJV 1 John 1:9-10
9. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive
us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar,
and his word is not in us.
Copyright 2001 by Brian
Yeager may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.