THE PARABLE OF THE LOST COIN
KJV Luke 15:8-10
8. Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she
lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek
diligently till she find it?
9. And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends
and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found
the piece which I had lost.
10. Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels
of God over one sinner that repenteth.
This parable shows us the importance of each and every member of the
body. We can see how much emphasis is placed on restoring even just
one erring member.
I. Jesus is the “Good Shepherd”
He cares about each of the sheep
KJV John 10:7-14
7. Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto
you, I am the door of the sheep.
8. All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers:
but the sheep did not hear them.
9. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be
saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
10. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill,
and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might
have it more abundantly.
11. I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his
life for the sheep.
12. But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose
own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and
fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.
13. The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and
careth not for the sheep.
14. I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known
He gave his life for the sheep
KJV John 10:15
15. As the Father knoweth me, even so I know the Father:
and I lay down my life for the sheep.
He is the “great shepherd”
KJV Hebrews 13:20
20. Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our
Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the
He has compassion and will feed those without a shepherd – the lost
KJV Mark 6:34-44
34. And Jesus, when he came out, saw much people, and was
moved with compassion toward them, because they were as sheep not having
a shepherd: and he began to teach them many things.
35. And when the day was now far spent, his disciples came
unto him, and said, This is a desert place, and now the time is far passed:
36. Send them away, that they may go into the country round
about, and into the villages, and buy themselves bread: for they have nothing
37. He answered and said unto them, Give ye them to eat.
And they say unto him, Shall we go and buy two hundred pennyworth of bread,
and give them to eat?
38. He saith unto them, How many loaves have ye? go and
see. And when they knew, they say, Five, and two fishes.
39. And he commanded them to make all sit down by companies
upon the green grass.
40. And they sat down in ranks, by hundreds, and by fifties.
41. And when he had taken the five loaves and the two fishes,
he looked up to heaven, and blessed, and brake the loaves, and gave them
to his disciples to set before them; and the two fishes divided he among
42. And they did all eat, and were filled.
43. And they took up twelve baskets full of the fragments,
and of the fishes.
44. And they that did eat of the loaves were about five
Man cannot live by bread alone
KJV Luke 4:4
4. And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not
live by bread alone, but by every word of God.
II. We can fall away
If our hearts are like the rocky soil
KJV Luke 8:13
13. They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word
with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time
of temptation fall away.
We will die if we live worldly lives
KJV Romans 8:12-13
12. Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to
live after the flesh.
13. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if
ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
Congregations can fall/yet there we a few that did not
KJV Revelation 3:1-5
1. And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things
saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know
thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.
2. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain,
that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.
3. Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard,
and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come
on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon
4. Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not
defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they
5. He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white
raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but
I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
III. If we fall away, we need to come back
Christ is waiting, repent
KJV Revelation 3:14-22
14. And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write;
these things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning
of the creation of God;
15. I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would
thou wert cold or hot.
16. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot,
I will spue thee out of my mouth.
17. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods,
and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable,
and poor, and blind, and naked:
18. I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that
thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and
that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with
eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
19. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore,
20. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my
voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him,
and he with me.
21. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my
throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his
22. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto
Repent and turn to God
KJV Acts 26:20
20. But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem,
and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that
they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.
KJV Amos 4:12
12. Therefore thus will I do unto thee, O Israel: and because
I will do this unto thee, prepare to meet thy God, O Israel.
Copyright 2001 by Brian
Yeager may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.