A CHRISTIAN LIKE PETER
Peter was and is a very good example for Christians. Peter
made many mistakes and was often rebuked by Christ, yet he was a man of
great example. As we will look at some of Peterís work, and times
of his learning we will see him grow in strength.
PETER THE ROCK
KJV John 1:35-42
35. Again the next day after John stood, and two of his disciples;
36. And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold
the Lamb of God!
37. And the two disciples heard him speak, and they
38. Then Jesus turned, and saw them following, and saith
unto them, What seek ye? They said unto him, Rabbi, (which is to say, being
interpreted, Master,) where dwellest thou?
39. He saith unto them, Come and see. They came and
saw where he dwelt, and abode with him that day: for it was about the tenth
40. One of the two which heard John speak, and followed
him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother.
41. He first findeth his own brother Simon, and saith
unto him, We have found the Messias, which is, being interpreted, the Christ.
42. And he brought him to Jesus. And when Jesus beheld
him, he said, Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shalt be called Cephas,
which is by interpretation, A stone.
PETER THE FISHERMAN
KJV Matthew 4:18-22
18. And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren,
Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea:
for they were fishers.
19. And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make
you fishers of men.
20. And they straightway left their nets, and followed
21. And going on from thence, he saw other two brethren,
James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in a ship with Zebedee
their father, mending their nets; and he called them.
22. And they immediately left the ship and their father,
and followed him.
PETER APPROVED THEN REBUKED
KJV Matthew 16:16-28
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ,
the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou,
Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but
my Father which is in heaven.
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon
this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail
19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven:
and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever
thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no
man that he was Jesus the Christ.
21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples,
how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders
and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third
22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be
it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me,
Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that
be of God, but those that be of men.
24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come
after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever
will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole
world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for
27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father
with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which
shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
PETERíS DENIAL FORETOLD
KJV Matthew 26:31-35
31. Then saith Jesus unto them, All ye shall be offended
because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd,
and the sheep of the flock shall be scattered abroad.
32. But after I am risen again, I will go before you
33. Peter answered and said unto him, Though all men
shall be offended because of thee, yet will I never be offended.
34. Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That
this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
35. Peter said unto him, Though I should die with thee,
yet will I not deny thee. Likewise also said all the disciples.
PETER DENIES CHRIST THREE TIMES
KJV Matthew 26:69-75
69 Now Peter sat without in the palace: and a damsel came
unto him, saying, Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee.
70 But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what
71 And when he was gone out into the porch, another maid saw
him, and said unto them that were there, This fellow was also with Jesus
72 And again he denied with an oath, I do not know the man.
73 And after a while came unto him they that stood by, and
said to Peter, Surely thou also art one of them; for thy speech bewrayeth
74 Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not
the man. And immediately the cock crew.
75 And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto
him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out,
and wept bitterly.
AS PETER DENIED CHRIST HE LOOKED AND SAW CHRIST
KJV Luke 22:60-61
60. And Peter said, Man, I know not what thou sayest. And
immediately, while he yet spake, the cock crew.
61. And the Lord turned, and looked upon Peter. And Peter remembered
the word of the Lord, how he said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou
shalt deny me thrice.
PETER THE LEADER Ė THE GOOD TEACHER
KJV Acts 2:14
14. But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up
his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell
at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
KJV Acts 2:38
38. Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized
every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,
and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
KJV Acts 2:41
41. Then they that gladly received his word were baptized:
and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
KJV Acts 3:12-19
12. And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people,
Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this? or why look ye so earnestly on
us, as though by our own power or holiness we had made this man to walk?
13. The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob,
the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered
up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to
let him go.
14. But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired
a murderer to be granted unto you;
15. And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised
from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.
16. And his name through faith in his name hath made
this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath
given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.
17. And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance
ye did it, as did also your rulers.
18. But those things, which God before had shewed by
the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled.
19. Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your
sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the
presence of the Lord.
KJV Acts 10:34-48
34. Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth
I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
35. But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh
righteousness, is accepted with him.
36. The word which God sent unto the children of Israel,
preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)
37. That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout
all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;
38. How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy
Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were
oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
39. And we are witnesses of all things which he did
both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged
on a tree:
40. Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him
41. Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen
before of God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose
from the dead.
42. And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and
to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick
43. To him give all the prophets witness, that through
his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.
44. While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost
fell on all them which heard the word.
45. And they of the circumcision which believed were
astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also
was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
46. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify
God. Then answered Peter,
47. Can any man forbid water, that these should not
be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48. And he commanded them to be baptized in the name
of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
THE MATURE PETER, TEACHING
KJV 1 Peter 2:1-17
1. Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies,
and envies, and all evil speakings,
2. As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the
word, that ye may grow thereby:
3. If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.
4. To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed
indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,
5. Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual
house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable
to God by Jesus Christ.
6. Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture,
Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that
believeth on him shall not be confounded.
7. Unto you therefore which believe he is precious:
but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed,
the same is made the head of the corner,
8. And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence,
even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also
they were appointed.
9. But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood,
an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises
of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;
10. Which in time past were not a people, but are now
the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained
11. Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims,
abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;
12. Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles:
that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good
works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.
13. Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for
the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;
14. Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by
him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do
15. For so is the will of God, that with well doing
ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:
16. As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke
of maliciousness, but as the servants of God.
17. Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God.
Honour the king.
PETER TEACHING THAT BAPTISM SAVES
KJV 1 Peter 3:20-21
20. Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering
of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein
few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
21. The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us
(not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good
conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
BE AS PETER AND DONíT QUIT THE GOOD FIGHT!!!
Copyright 2000 by Brian
Yeager may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.